Author Topic: were to get a draw knife  (Read 10256 times)

Offline Shondy55

were to get a draw knife
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:45:19 pm »
hey guys i need to purchase a draw knife, any websites or brands that you reccomend?

-shondy
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: were to get a draw knife
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:27 pm »
Someone posted recently that Tractor Supply was discontinuing draw knives and had them marked down to less than $10. My local stores were already out by the time I found out. You might check yours, though, if you have any in your locale. Not sure of the quality. I did recently pick an antique one up at a yard sale....lucky break! There may also be some vendors on here that make them.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:06:02 pm »
all the draw knives i have purchased have come from antique stores or flea markets.
they can often be found for under $10. tho they might need some cleaning up and sharpening.
there are many sold each day on the big auction site.
the ones no one took the time to clean up or take great pix sometimes go very reasonable.
tho i prefer to get my paws on a tool before i purchase.
there are numerous variations in drawknives too

some are longer some are shorter
some are straight bladed some are curved.
everyone has their own preference for the style of drawknife they prefer.
you may end up picking up several before ya find the one ya like the best.
i prefer shorter and a slight curve.
but the one i use the most now is 8" and straight.
it was my grandpas and has some good mojo so its about the only one i pick up now.
i also like em shaving sharp but i have heard some folks who like em "dull"

if you are patient you will find a good old one.
the new ones, except possibly the very spendy ones(have no experience with the high $ modern options) are not as good imo

there is indeed at least one fella on primitive archer who makes draw knives.
sorry i do not recall who at the moment

good luck
wild women don't get the blues

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:20:56 pm »
i second fleamarkets and antique shops.as far as brands go,there are many good ones.i like keencutters.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 01:29:52 pm »
I bought mine at an Ace hardware store here in town. they only ever keep one in stock. $60, but German made, and really good quality, but if you're looking for thrift, i only resorted buying brand new after exhausting all the antique stores and yard sales in my area. Start there first.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 02:00:36 pm »
Got mine on the online auction place.  Never have had any luck in local flea markets/antique stores.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 02:16:25 pm »
Ask on "Trading Post". Someone may have an extra one laying around.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stanley2015

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 02:17:57 pm »
I bought one 2 days ago from ebay, 8" blade 1 1/2" deep, $14.
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 02:18:33 pm »
mine is from my great- great grandpa/ it is stamped with a date of 1837. Steel now-a-days does not compare!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 03:15:12 pm »
Don't forget to watch for estate auctions at old farms.  I've also seen them on craigslist posted as antique woodworking tools. 

I prefer the old drawknifes.  Make sure the blade is not pitted or missing chunks. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:14:38 pm »
Take you a short road trip up to Bethany at exit 92 off I-35.  Then east a 1/4 mile to Jim's antiques.  I've bought a half dozen of em from him, all under ten bucks.  Josh

Offline Cbert

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 01:14:21 pm »
*sigh*  Here I am at work (in afghanistan)... chompin' at the bit to be home so I can forge up some arrowheads and make a bow. Found myself reading and man If I had a forge out here I could whip you one up real quick and It'd be something to do! Maybe when I get back home and at the forge I'll ply my trade for those that are having trouble finding "old" things.

Offline Patches

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 03:05:49 pm »
I got one at Menards for $14. 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »
They will be cheaper at flea markets than they will at antique stores. Seller will negotiate downward with you to avoid packing it back up again.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 12:39:32 am »
I bought one of those cheap Menards drawknives.  It was really easy to sharpen with my 10" mill file.  That was the good part. 

It was such soft steel that the edge would roll over when I was debarking pine!!!  It wouldn't hold an edge worth a dang.  Took it outside and threw it as hard as I could into the brush out behind the place.  Half an hour I was out beating the bushes to find it.  Picked it up and threw it even further!

Bought a good Austrian made drawknife from Lee Valley Tools.  It cut my thumb when I tested it's edge on arrival.  In all the osage work  I have done and the hackberry I have torn up I have only needed to strop the edge on a leather.  I looooooove it.    But maybe you don't wanna spend $65 on one.  Send a private message to BevanR.  He usually has a few antiques in his shop in various states of refurbishment. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.