Author Topic: bowfishing pic  (Read 2870 times)

Offline seabass

bowfishing pic
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:40:48 am »
well my truck started acting up on the way to the lake this morning so i couldn't take my canoe and go for the really big ones.i did run down to the river to wade a little.there wasn't much action because i got down there late because of the truck problem.however i did manage to stick one.thanks for looking.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: bowfishing pic
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:41:45 pm »
Nice one seabass.  Wish we coulda hooked up @ friendship last weekend, I was ther too. Nice fish.  Cut it in chunks, freeze it and this fall put it into your garden as fertilizer.  Or...what do you do w/ them?  dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:47:24 pm »
i use them for catfish bait.sometimes when i get too many,i feed the coons at night.i filleted this one and froze them.i wish i could have met up with you too.Clint was also there.i didn't see him either.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 02:02:25 pm »
That's a nice one :D Is it a grass carp?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:18:26 pm »
no Cipriano,it is a comman asian carp.we also have a big scale carp.i think they are in the mirror carp family.the grass carp here are mainly in ponds and lakes.this one i shot in the river by my house.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 04:59:49 pm »
Nice fish! 

Sorry we couldn't meet up last weekend.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 07:41:12 pm »
i wish we could have met too Clint.there was four of us primitive archers there at the same time and probably walked right past each other.i live very close to you.i went through your town to get there.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 12:11:49 am »
when I was young, black folk in the poorer part of town used to but carp for fisher folk. My cousin used to catch them on rod and reel up to five feet in length. Pressure cookers do wonders! Up where my dad lives you can expect to find carp at least five feet regularly.

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 07:27:56 am »
Ben,there is some very large carp in the lake i go to.some in the 20 to 30 pound range.my truck was down so i had to resort to wading the river by my house.the river has big ones also,but the stay out in deeper water.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 10:10:12 am »
Nice one Seabass!  I got to get on these carp around here.  We have a couple of small lakes around here that are infested with them.  Bowfishing is danged near as much fun as hunting!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 04:17:54 pm »
Nice shootin' tex!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 09:06:34 pm »
thanks Chris,i was there five minutes when this one swam by.then it went dead on me.Howard,you need to shoot some carp.they fight harder that anything.if i can get my truck straightened out,i'll go out for the big ones.she won't let me put the canoe on top of her car.can you believe that.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 10:11:05 am »
     I intend to try shooting some carp before the week is out.  The rain is gone,  and the river is clearing,  and I am off on Wed/thurs,  so i am going after them! :D 
     I know how it goes....  I am not allowed to go anywhere near my wife's car with any of my "bow %^#!"  It is probably just as well....  she loves her little red camry...  named it "Miss Scarlet".  If she found a rattlesnake skin, fish scales,  otter pelts,  blood from anything, or marsh mud tracks on the floorboard, I might be in divorce court or a hospital! I have to stay in my truck with all that. 
     Seabass, what kind of line do you prefer?  Are there cheaper kinds of cordage to buy,  that will work, besides the little fifty foot spools that I got from everybody's favorite archery supply place? When you tie a piece of line to an arrrow in a fifty pound bow, you really want that stuff to unspool like it's supposed to.  I see how someone could really hurt themselves if there was a tangled line during the shot! 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Brother Dan

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 11:23:05 am »
nice shootin, Steve, you should keep the skins for a bow. I was at Friendship Friday and Saturday.  BDan
Cleves, Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 05:21:32 pm »
hey Dan,i was at friendship only sunday.Howard,try looking at brickmason string at building supply houses.i use to use that stuff with good results.the stuff i am using now came with my retreiver reel.the last stuff i got was muzzy bowfishing line.it worked really well but was pricey.always check the condition of your line.if it is frayed at all,cut and retie.plus get you some safty slides for your arrow.those slides have saved my bacon too many times not to use them.they are a good investment.good luck on those carp brother.
Middletown,Ohio