Author Topic: Pre (and Post)-Fathers Day Points  (Read 6017 times)

Stringman

Re: Pre-Fathers Day Points
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 09:15:26 am »
Nothin wrong with that side notch. Thats a nice piece of chipping.

Offline chertle

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 03:44:54 pm »
Best you could do?  I love it :-*  Thank you so much!!!  Looks like you are having a great time in the pit!!!!  Thanks for posting everything even though they all didn't work out the way you would have liked them too ;)
Leslie
Indiana

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:11 pm »
Thanks, and you're welcome.  I actually entertained the thought of setting up the video cam, but it would have taken longer to get it set up than I had to knapp.  I took 3 or 4 times as many pictures as I posted, but they really didn't add anything so I didn't post them.  I have a time lapse trail cam for my hog lease, and after I get familiar with where the hogs are I'll bring it home and create a time lapse video of making a point.  I probably won't get back out to the rock again until Friday night.  Really need to put the handle wrap on the trade bow and get it sent.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 01:05:02 am »
I unexpectedly had a little time knapping tonight.  Should have worked on the trade bow but I couldn't help myself.  Picked a slab out of the stuff I got from Don.  O my, was it tough.  I never dreamed I'd get a point so I didn't take pictures until I got done.  I see the symmetry is poor, and I could not drive flakes all the way across the base, but it is a point.  Wow this stuff is hard!!

Tired me out!

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 10:29:21 am »
Wow! That looks like a tough piece of concrete! I'm afraid that woulda found the "pitch it" bin if I'd been workin it. Way to push through the pain and finish it.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 10:37:16 am »
Yea, there was no danger I'd snap that one hitting it on the base. ;D  There was also no danger I'd get a flute. :(  I couldn't run flakes with the ishi at all, nor could I notch past getting started with the notcher.  The ishi was great to turn the edge and I used my pressure flaker to get the notches deeper but still stalled them.  Never did weigh it.  Might go back out and straighten up the sides.  If it's light enough for an arrow it won't need to be sharpened very often. >:D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 06:52:31 pm »
Took a break from working on bows to try a heated spall I got from Bevan.  After that last hard piece this was a breath of fresh air.  It worked nicely with the bopper, ishi and indirect.  I got a nice triangle, but it weighed 180gr so I took the base in a little and put some pretty large notches in it.  Patrick's notching video has helped me a lot, I didn't stall either notch, but got a little chicken I'd snap the point if I kept going.  Now at 150gr it should be a good pig ventilator.  Not sure what it would be called.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Pre (and Post)-Fathers Day Points
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 10:20:56 pm »
Not sure what it would be called.

I think you named it!  ;) 
pig ventilator.

Good loking point. Looks like some of the Novic.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 10:24:03 pm »
The color on those pictures is a little off, it's more of a gray than the white it looks here.  I love the stuff.  You still coming down in a few weeks?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 11:21:18 pm »
Man George, you're stockpiling some ammo :) Nice work!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline seider

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 11:35:17 pm »
Those are some good looking points there.  You have been a busy man. 
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline chertle

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 01:10:39 pm »
Great point!!!  I like the name "pig ventilator" also!!!  Looks like you are having some fun for me.  One more week and I will be posting some pics for you too!!  Keep em comin' George!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 11:00:17 am »
I tried again Leslie, but didn't fare so well last night.

The "point" on the left I had high hopes for.  There is a little crystal inclusion you can see that I thought would be very cool in the center of the point.  Unfortunately, it acted like concrete and wouldn't let flakes run through it on the other side, where I had coretex.

It also had a spot on one side where it wanted to crack so I was a little tentative whacking it there.  Of course, that resulted in steps and I finally gave up on it.  I'll toss it in the pile of goofs and 3 months from now I'll have learned enough to go finish it.

The white point is white glass.  It should have been twice that size, in fact I was planning on a knife blade from it and consequently wasn't trying to get it particularly thin.  I don't know if it had a flaw or if I just mishit but in 2 whacks I took half the width and a third of the length off the preform.  In the end I had trouble thinning the point and even as small as it is it weighs 175gr.

Not my best night.  Probably didn't help that it was 105 in the shop.  The pool went from 81 to 88 degrees in 1 day.  It's beginning to feel like bathwater already.  Looks like a hot summer this year.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 03:55:24 pm »
Well, look at you go George. Lot of good lookin points there! I hear ya on the heat. Do ya have one of them sprinklers for your pool? Almost like a little as unit in the water - evaporation thing ya know..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 04:25:26 pm »
Do ya have one of them sprinklers for your pool? Almost like a little as unit in the water - evaporation thing ya know..

No I don't.  But, as fast as the water evaporates out now you'd think it'd be cooler the way it is??  I hate to make it much worse.  The real problem is the warm nights.  It was getting down into the low70s last week, but it's not made it out of the 80s all week.  Last year the pool water was only in the 90s for one week.  I hate to think what it'll get to later this week at the current rate of warm-up.  Above 92 isn't very pleasant unless it's real breezy.

George
St Paul, TX