Author Topic: New Bow Stave  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Stanley2015

New Bow Stave
« on: June 15, 2012, 07:20:16 pm »
Recently I harvested my second bow stave, It's Mulberry, 42 inches long, and 2 inches in diameter with a slight natural bend. I'll see what i can do about pics but what do you guys think I should do with it? I was thinking a fat, short, medieval flat bow. Thoughts?

Thanks for the input!
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline toomanyknots

Re: New Bow Stave
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:30:48 pm »
Recently I harvested my second bow stave, It's Mulberry, 42 inches long, and 2 inches in diameter with a slight natural bend. I'll see what i can do about pics but what do you guys think I should do with it? I was thinking a fat, short, medieval flat bow. Thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

I don't know what a medievil flatbow is, but I would back a bow that short for sure.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Stanley2015

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 07:32:43 pm »
Know of any good backing materials?
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:54:11 pm »
Ny first few bows i backed with three strips of sheetrock  tape saturated with wood glue. works pretty well.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 11:40:44 pm »
I'd sinew the back at that length, but you could use hickory or bamboo.  I'd go real thin on the boo, think knife edge.  If backing with wood/boo, I'd tiller to the short string, then glue up the bow with reflex.

Mike

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 12:49:54 am »
My vote is to give it several inches of reflex, flip just the tips a little,sinew back it, and make a bend through the handle bow.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:56:28 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 03:09:57 am »
My vote is to give it several inches of reflex, flip just the tips a little,sinew back it, and make a bend through the handle bow.

While that might be what the stave needs I'm not sure those are the best projects for someone to tackle on their first bow. Stanley, I think you will be glad if you spend some time getting the right stave to build your first bow with. Something 65-70" long, at least a few inches in diameter, relatively straight and free of knots and a wood type that is not going to give you a lot of grief like hazelnut, hickory, elm, etc. There are many that could work. Don't worry about recurves, sinew, backing, or any of that sort of thing, just concentrate on practicing the basics of tillering. My first bow was a simple hickory pyramid style flat bow from a stave. I got a lot of hands on help from very knowledgeable bowyers in my area and 5 years later it is still my favorite bow to shoot and I learned a ton from making it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 08:23:45 am »
I'm with Weylin... 42" is waaay too short especially if you are relative new to bow making.
I'd be looking for about 64" minimum and probably as tall as up to your eye line is safer.
42" is only going to give a 21" draw unless you are really skilled or sinew it, which isn't what a newbie should be trying.
I'm not trying to sound negative... just trying to save some heartache.
2" is a tad slim too... 2.5 - 3 give you some more room.
Del
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:27:59 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:26:21 am »
  I'd have to go along with the above. That short for someone on their second bow.
  Use sinew for sure on a bow that short.
  I would'nt flib the tips on a bow that short thats a lot of unneeded pressure on those short limbs. If you do you'd better use sinew on it. Remember it's your second bow. Build the simplest bow you can right now.
  I've never heard of a midevil flat bow either.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:01:12 am »
Sorry, I didn't realize it was your second attempt.  I agree with the other guys.  Find a longer stave.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left