Author Topic: need catfish bait ideas  (Read 19375 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: need catfish bait ideas
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 09:54:10 am »
Thanks for all the ideas guys.  I don't have any catalpa worms and squid are pretty scarce here in Indiana Mullet  ;D  I tried the shrimp a few years ago and I don't remember doing to well with them.  I'm going to try the velveeta cotton balls and some cut fish.  I never thought of using frogs.  I could catch some and freeze them for next week.  Last night I started making a minnow trap.  The creek next to my work is full of big chub minnows.  I've never made a trap before.  Does anyone know how big to make the holes on the inverted cones?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:20:41 am »
For soft baits like soap and the stink bait I cut small peices of panti hose put the bait in it tie it closed and stick it on the hook. the fish can't suck it off the hook and if they try to suck the bait out of the hose there hooked :)
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 11:30:45 am »
Never made one,bought a couple from wally world,the hole is about 3/4 inch across if I remember right. :) I don't think it is that critical,they ant smart enough to find their way out anyway. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 11:51:36 am »
A glass jug will work too Clint.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 01:15:36 pm »
I spent a lifetime chasing those things around up here. They are my fav-o-right fish to catch. I have my best luck using bite size chunks of whole frozen shrimp.

Cats are my favorite, too!! I'm usually a nightcrawler guy, but one of the biggest channel cats I ever caught was on a shrimp. I had a bag of them left over from a day of dock fishing on the Gulf. I kept them in the freezer for a couple years then decided to try them on channel cats.

I caught that one in the middle of the day under a bridge up on Lake of the Ozarks. It was probably twenty-five pounds...fought like a freight train.

My biggest flathead was on a nightcrawler. That was on a creek off the Missouri River. It probably weighed thirty-five or forty. I almost always use nightcrawlers. I keep a worm farm full of them in a little refrigerator in my work shop. I've had good luck with big grasshoppers on my pond, too. I've had channel cats hit them on the surface before!
Doug from Missouri

Offline cracker

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 01:42:45 pm »
I've cought big catfish on bass baits, chicken guts just anything gross seems to work.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 01:52:39 pm »
Clint;  look for squid in the Frozen food section, think Calamari. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 02:49:16 pm »
Thanks Mullet, I'll check it out.  I caught my biggest catfish ever last year on freezer burnt deer scraps.  I'm going to try them at the lake too.  I'm excited about trying some different ideas and see what works best.  I'll let everyone know how I do.

I finished the minnow trap.  I'm going to try it out tomorrow evening and see if it works.  I've never used one before.  I had to google it to see what they looked like.  It is 36" long and 9" wide.  The openings in the cones are about the size of a golfball.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 02:52:49 pm »
Perfect
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline cracker

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 03:08:41 pm »
yep that should work.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline gunny

• Just a Good-Old Honest Traditional Archer,Brothers
    • http://www.gatorbowworks.com
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 03:18:29 pm »
This Is Guaranteed To Work...Period!

Get about a pound of cheap ground beef  & 1/2 lb of limburger cheese.
Wearing surgical gloves, mix it really good with a bag of cotton balls to keep it together.
Take a pair of old panty hose, stick one leg inside the other, add a few handfulls of gravel and about 1/2 of the mixture.
Tie a rope around it and toss it into the area you are going to fish at about 3 to 4 hours (overnight is better) before you do
start fishing with the other 1/2 of the mixture. This stuff stinks something god-awfull so make sure you wear those gloves.
When you bait the hook try to cast around the area where the chum bag was dropped earlier...and I promise it will work!

An old South Carolina Black Man showed me this trick when I was about 8 years old and it works everytime for me.
Good Luck.

Gunny
Robert H. Smith
Gator Bow Works

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 05:42:53 pm »
Perfect minner trap!  looks alot like mine!   ;)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 09:01:26 pm »
I don't know about the lake that you will be fishing.... but lakes lend themselves to chumming an area.  What we do is sink a square bale of hay with six cans of dogfood wired to it.  Punch a bunch of holes in the dogfood cans.  Tie a floating marker to mark your hay bale....  Something around woody cover in 12 feet or more of water....  Then your bait won't matter much.  I favor minnows,  seined locally,  or shad for the channels and blues - live bluegills or big shiners for the flatheads.  Let me know when the fish fry kicks off.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 09:12:53 pm »
I think my minnow trap has mesh about half the size of that one.  Of course, if all you want to catch is the larger minnows the larger mesh lets the little ones swim out so you don't have to mess with them.  Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 09:45:09 pm »
The lake is mostly used for recreation.  It is full of ski boats on the weekends.  I'm not sure if we will be able to chum any where.

George, the chub minnows are so big in the creek that I was catching them on a small hook the other day.  The mesh is 1/2" squares. 

Man I'm getting excited to try some of these ideas out.  Thanks guys