Author Topic: my first bow.  (Read 3969 times)

Offline danny f

my first bow.
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:02:09 pm »
just thought i would show you all some pics of my first bow. its an edge grain ash board,  pyramid design. i have put yew tip overlays on. it draws 36 pound at 28" is 68" overall length and 66" nock to nock. the top limb has more bend in than i like but i have decided to leave it as it is now. i just have to put a leather handle on when i can get some and varnish it, i have put a few coats of linseed oil on it too.   its been great building it and thanks for the help people have given me on here :)

Offline paulsemp

Re: my first bow.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:06:33 pm »
Looks good! Way better that my first! But now you need to get you some REAL arrows to go along with it.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:07:15 pm »
The top limb does look a little weak, but that's still a pretty good tiller, especially for a first bow. Nice job on those tip overlays. I also really like the shape of the riser. Once you get some varnish on that, it will be a sweet looking first bow, well done.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:17:49 pm »
Good work on your first. good finish work as well.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:20:28 pm »
Good job. I can see the bottom limb is strong, but if it feels balanced in your hand, thats all that matters. Your tiller is good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:34:24 pm »
Well done!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:38:47 pm »
Well done!  Especially for a first.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:00:25 pm »
Good job on your first...congrats and savor it as long as ya can

I wood take ten full length scrapes on the bottom limb to balance it out better,then shoot a couple dozen arrows,and recheck the tiller for a change,and if no change then do 5 scrapes and repeat shooting again till it balances out better...i can see the bottom limb is wanting to tip towards you..you should be able to feel that when you draw it

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:07 pm »
Nice job, Danny! I like them tips, too!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline danny f

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:47:58 pm »
cheers for all the nice comments everyone, i have just given the lower limb 10 full length scrapes but there is no one here to take a full draw pic yet. to see if its any better.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »
Does it feel better Danny? If its right or wrong, you can feel it without pics.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danny f

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 04:24:30 pm »
to be honest i dont really know, i haven't done much archery so would really know what im feeling for. it doesnt feel bad, it doesn't feel like the bottom is pulling harder than the top and doesnt twist or anything when drawn so i would say its ok but im an amateur lol. im pretty happy with how its turned out really, they can only get better.(hopefully) :)

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »
ive made the mistake of calling a bow done that should have been reduced a little more... it was a maple board bow backed with hemp, pulled about 60 at 30, was shooting fine for the first 60 arrows. put her away for the night and pulled her out strung her up drew it back to 24 and it blew.... top limb swung over my head and slaped me in the back really hard... was bruised for quite awhile... just lucky it didnt stab me.  so i have learnt that if there is a noticable difference... fix it!
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »
hang on to that bow, there's only one "first bow", then start planning the next one, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 01:46:51 am »
Nice bow !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington