Author Topic: I think i may have messed up already  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Brookss

I think i may have messed up already
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:07:46 am »
I did my research , but maybe not quite enough . I was reading "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible ,Vol 2" and Tim Baker told me to go buy a board and make a bow , so I did . I bought a beautiful piece of maple and backed it with red oak .  I shaved and sanded and finally got it to the point that the tips would bend up about 6 inches off the bench . I made up a couple leather boots and tied a sting in-between .I strung my bow , and tore my left bicep doing it . about ten seconds later the leather ripped and the bow straightened back out . Since I wasn't able to tiller the bow with a bad arm I decide to work on the grip .I don't have plans for a long bow so I decided to use a recurve grip and rest  design that I did have . After cutting  , I found Primitive Archer , The more I read the more I'm worried that my design will fail .
The bow is 72 " long the grip and rest (Center section ) is 16"long and 2 "wide and 1.5" at its thickest .that leaves 28 " per limb which taper to 1/2 " . It has not been nocked
My question , Is my bow going to break at the rest ?  Should I shorten the center section , to lengthen the limbs ? The way it is now I don't think I'll ever get the nice arch that I'm seeing on the bows here .

I have to think outside the box .They caught me outside and changed the locks.

mikekeswick

Re: I think i may have messed up already
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:40:30 am »
Well it sure is simpler to shoot off the hand!!
Why do you think it will fail? Details will help.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:23:27 am »
I think your ok....just keep the bend away from the glued on handle so it dont pop off,which it looks like it is so far....keep going your fine

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:22:51 am »
No it wont.
You have halved the width of the bow, so it is twice as weak.
BUT you have compensated by doubling the thickness.
Stiffness is proportional to the cube of thickness thus twice as thick is 2x2x2 times (so that's 8 times) stiffer.
So it's half as strong times 8 times as strong which is 4 times as strong so it won't break!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:17:14 am »
Just about everyone who starts making wood bows has a little lingering "glass laminated recurve" mentality in one of their bow designs. I did on my first, center shot, locater grip, broke right in the sight window, lesson learned.

Hopefully you will be luckier than I was, but with oak, I don't know.............

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:49:24 am »
ditto what Eric said. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 12:24:24 pm »
What Eric said, seems to be more and more of that now days,it will probably be OK as long as it don't bend at the fads,hard to tell from the picture but from what I can tell I would be more worried about it popping up at the fad where you cut in than in the middle of the handle. Nothing to do now but give it a try and see how it turns out. :)Good luck and keep us updated. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »
You've got to remember my definition of 'expert'
"The man who can put right his own mistakes..."
So press on and you will soon may eventually ;) become expert.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline scp

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 03:19:59 pm »
My question , Is my bow going to break at the rest ?  Should I shorten the center section , to lengthen the limbs ?

It appears that you cut into the oak backing. I would never do that. I would consider backing it again with linen or something.

If you don't mind the 2" set you probably would get, you have enough wood left to make a decent bow. A lot would depend on your desired bow weight.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:39:08 pm »
anytime you back a bow with another wood it is a good idea to make the backing go all the way through the handle riser.  There are alot of bending forces in the fades even if they remain static and the further into the handle you get the backing the better.  I feel the backing is going to lift at the fades myself.  I have seen it happen before.  Good luck though.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Brookss

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:49:49 pm »
 I guess I'll name this one "Pessimistic Optimism" and build my first bow , learn as much as I can and shoot all the arrows she can handle before breaking .  My second marriage is much better because of  all I learned screwing up my first .
Steve
I have to think outside the box .They caught me outside and changed the locks.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 01:42:52 am »
Steve , That is definitely the correct attitude. Good luck !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington