Author Topic: removing set?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline danny f

removing set?
« on: June 11, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »
hi, i have just done my first bow and it has taken some set, the upper limb has taken about 2" and the lower limb about 1". i was just wondering if there is anyway to remove this set? also does it really matter having some set on a bow? should i just leave it as it is? thanks for any advice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: removing set?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:22:22 pm »

A. Set happens to virtually all wooden bows in one way or another.
B. The better you get at tillering and design the less set you end up with.
C. Leave her alone and move to another.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:24:02 pm »
your o.k., 2 1/2" or more is to much, a little set makes for a smooth shooter, as you learn your bows will come in with less set, just shoot it and have some fun with your #1 till you build another, how 'bout some pics, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »
pearlie just gave ya the abc's of wood bows, the more you worry the less fun it is, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

UserNameTaken

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:51:44 pm »
I made a red oak board bow a couple of months ago, and it took a little bit of set. Even though I know that a little bit of set is no big deal, it really bugs the hell out of me. So, as an experiment, I strung the thing backwards and toasted the belly--about a half an hour spent on each side. Worked great, and so far it's retaining a little bit of reflex. I also think that the browned belly adds a bit of character.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:45:41 pm »
100% agree with Pearlie

Offline danny f

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 05:40:06 am »
ok i will leave as it is now.  thanks everyone, i am going to put a thread on when its completely finished. got sanding staining and tips to do yet and a leather handle if i can find some.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:53:17 am »
Pearlie has nailed it... but maybe A, C, B? ;D
As you get more profficient you will also learn about heat treating and stuff, but I'd save it until you've got a few under your belt.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 11:04:38 am »
Del...u got it wrong too...its C.A.B.  in that order  ;)  :laugh:

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 01:00:26 pm »
Every bow I have ever made has some sort of set. Weather it is set you can see from a bow that was straight in the beginning or reflex that has been removed by set. I never let it bother me. If it shoots well and I can hit what I want, who cares? Keep making more!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 01:08:18 pm »
Set can tell you a lot if you spot it very early on.
Also worth taking another look if one limb is taking mroe set than another as it may suggest the limb with more set is working too hard.

Either way go shoot it some and get on with your next one, and another and another.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 06:44:27 pm »
You build another bow keeping in mind what you learned from the mistakes of the one that isn't perfect.  And if you build a perfect one, you build another jusat to see if the last one was a coincidence.  Either way, you just build one "another" after, well....another.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline scp

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 08:33:48 pm »
hi, i have just done my first bow and it has taken some set

I guess it depends on what you expect from your bow. I made about fifty selfbows so far, mainly from white oak staves, and all of them had set of 1 to 3 inches. And they shoot 120 to 140 FPS. I routinely flip the tips or heat treat the whole belly or both. Then, they shoot about 140 to 160 FPS. I'm still trying to make them shoot 10 GPP arrows at least 170 FPS. I guess it's time to build a heat box and possibly even a shooting machine. Good luck.

Offline danny f

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 05:15:11 am »
cheers everyone, i just thought it was a real bad thing to get set but it sounds quite common im not a worried about it now. i think i will just get cracking on the next one now. :D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:30 am »
What you have to bear in mind is that a bow with 1" of reflex probably started out with 3" of reflex.
It's still taken some set... you just don't see it!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.