Author Topic: linen strings  (Read 4794 times)

Offline dmenzies1950

linen strings
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:27:12 pm »
I'm thinking of making a linen string for one of my bows. Does anyone out there know how many strands I will need for a 60lb bow? I would appreciate this information as well as anything else I should know about making linen Strings.

Thanks,   Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Badger

Re: linen strings
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »
 Linen comes in various sizes and strengths. I would do a break test on several strands and then figure using about 6 times bow weight. A lot of guys say 4 times but I have had better luck using 6 times. I use 4 times for flight shooting.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:33:46 am »
Like Badger said, 6 times.  I have only made two linen strings and broke them both with a 50lb bow.  First one was roughly 4 times bow weight and second was probably close to five.  I understand there are some other cautions when using linen strings, like ensuring the don't get too dry.  Also, both of mine broke right at the nock point. Not sure that indicates anything.  They are the only two strings I have ever broke.  I take that back...just broke my first sinew string two weeks ago  ::)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:54:24 am »
Thanks for the information on linen strings! It sounds like I might be better off using linen for the grandkids bows and use B-50 for the big "Guns".   Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 02:40:34 am »
Like Badger said, 6 times.  I have only made two linen strings and broke them both with a 50lb bow.  First one was roughly 4 times bow weight and second was probably close to five.  I understand there are some other cautions when using linen strings, like ensuring the don't get too dry.  Also, both of mine broke right at the nock point. Not sure that indicates anything.  They are the only two strings I have ever broke.  I take that back...just broke my first sinew string two weeks ago  ::).

Some linen will break on the nock point due to the type of knot at the nock. The best type of nock I have found for linen is a simple loop. Also, linen likes a 3 ply over a 2 plys for some reason. For performance, I have found nothing that beats irish linen (including fast flight, once a pure glued together nettle fiber string was pretty close, but nothing yet has topped irish linen for me.)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 02:43:54 am »
  I would use the b 50 for the kids bows and the linen for the big guns, it will outperform b50 in my opinion.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:56:14 pm »
Some linen will break on the nock point due to the type of knot at the nock. The best type of nock I have found for linen is a simple loop. Also, linen likes a 3 ply over a 2 plys for some reason. For performance, I have found nothing that beats irish linen (including fast flight, once a pure glued together nettle fiber string was pretty close, but nothing yet has topped irish linen for me.)

Toomanyknots, so the knot at the end of string can cause the string to break at the arrow nocking point?  I have used a a flemsih twist for the upper nock loop and a timber hitch at the lower. So maybe I should try a flemish loop at both ends.  Is that what you were referring to as a simple loop?
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 04:07:00 pm »

Toomanyknots, so the knot at the end of string can cause the string to break at the arrow nocking point?  I have used a a flemsih twist for the upper nock loop and a timber hitch at the lower. So maybe I should try a flemish loop at both ends.  Is that what you were referring to as a simple loop?

Oh, ya. I wasn't clear, sorry. The only problem I have had is with timber hitches. It seems that it just ends up grinding down the fibers or something like that at the knot over time. I do use timber hitches now, but because I only use rounder 3 ply strings now it seems to not crush the linen down as much. I am using good quality irish linen now too. If I was worried about it or if the bow was very high draw weight I would only use 2 flemish loops.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 04:16:20 pm »
 If you use the double flemish loop they will normally break below the area where the loop is woven in, right in the middle of the string some place. I have never had one break at the nock on the double flemish loops.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »
I will try a 3 strand double flemish on the next string.  I got my linen string from pyrosupplies.  Their "Imported 8 strand linen flax twine".  I just did another break test and it is 45lb. for a single bundle of the eight strand.  It looks bleached, I have heard that un-bleached is better. 

Toomanyknots Funny you should mention nettle, as I have some drying in the garage now.  >:D

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28:15 pm »
I just realized that for the 65lb bow I have in mind, I am looking at 3 bundles of 24 strands!  for a three ply string!   :o  That is going to be a fat string. 

I have been waxing my linen just like I do dacron during the twist up.  Any reason not too? 

Also, just to be clear the two strings I broke, broke at the arrow nocking point.  I did not have anything on the serving to mark the nock point. 

Offline markinengland

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 06:03:21 pm »
I usually buld up the loop and knot end of the string a bit with extra strands. This seems to make a very durable linen string even if 4 times bow strength. The only time I don't build the ends up is with a string for a light bow where it is just as easy and effective to overbuild the whole string and still keep the string thin. where the sums don't quite add up I do err on the side of caution and add extra though.
I've had a 4 times strength linen string break at the knot when strung for the first time without any reinforcement of the ends. Since doing that I haven't had a problem.
Three ply does seem to make a stronger better string than two ply.
Some kind of middle serving does help protect the string from wear and tear not only from the arrow nock but also from wear from finger and against bracer.
Those of my linen strings that do eventually break have broken away from the knots/loops and serving but only after a lot of use.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 06:48:55 pm »
   You will be making a string for a 540# bow if you use all that thread! recheck your numbers.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 12:36:58 am »
Badger maybe my error is in the use of the nomenclature.  I am not sure about a strand versus a bundle versus a ply.  I figured I had a 45 # breaking strength of a single "bundle" (the bundle being the 8 strand twine wound directly off the roll), which would require 7-8 of those bundles to meet a 6 times 65# draw weight bowstring.    Also, I looked at the pyrosupplies website again, and the 8 strand flax twine I got is hungarian.  And pyrosupplies lists its breaking strength at 70lbs.  That is quite a bit more than the 45# I got.   ??? >:(

What are some sources for top quality irish linen?  I heard Barbours now longer makes the twine now sold under the barbour name. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:42 am »
CMB, the actual breaking strength of that string is closer to 35#, for some reason they always list almost double what I test with all their products. That is actualy the spec they get from the mill they purchase it from.