Author Topic: Storing supplies  (Read 3717 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Storing supplies
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:40:11 am »
I have been in supply gathering mode this year and I'm wondering what is the best way to store everything.  I keep my stuff in my workshop in a detached polebarn/garage.  It is dry, but I can't keep the spiders and bugs out.  I don't want any mites or other critters eating my stuff.  I put my feathers in the freezer for a week and then put them in a tub with mothballs, but I'm not crazy about that smell.  What is the best way to protect everything?

Here is what I'm worried about

feathers
snake/fish skins
sinew
dried hide glue
rawhide
fur
cow horn
leather
beaver tails
cane arrow shafts

Thanks for any advice  :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:45:06 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Storing supplies
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:52:31 am »
osage, I haven't got a clue but excellent question and I'm waiting on the responses. I'm in similar predicament.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:17:19 am »
Hey Osage,
I'll tell you I do with those things.  It might not be the best method, but it's work for me so far.
Feather--in the freezer, usually with them still attached to the wing (not the best method), until I need them or they're taking up too much room in the freeze.  Then I pull them out, hang a mesh bag to dry, cutting them from the wing if needed.  When dry I put them in a 1 1/2 gallon freezer to store them in a cabinet in the workshop.

Snake skins are rolled up, place in a freezer bag then in the freezer.

Sinew and hide glue in freezer bags then in a plastic tool box.

Rawhide and leather and fur are rolled up and tied then placed in a plastic container like the ones you store sweaters in under your bed.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:04:39 pm »
I don't think I have enough freezer room right now.  This might be a dumb question, but can snake skins get freezer burnt?

Is there anything else besides stinky mothballs that will protect feathers?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:31:57 pm »
I store everything in clear rubbermaid shoe box sized containers. My feathers have a touch of cedar chips in them to keep bugs away, so far so good. I like the containers because I can grab them and head out for gatherings without packing up. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:23:54 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »
I do like Pearl, the air tight boxes are great. I throw in some desiccant (kitty litter)  on items that I worry about mold on (sinew, rawhide, leather, etc.).

Snake skin will freezer burn I am sure but it takes along time, I just worked up some that were salvaged in 2005 with no problems.

Sean

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38:15 pm »
Here is what I'm worried about:

feathers
snake/fish skins
sinew
dried hide glue
rawhide
fur
cow horn
leather
beaver tails
cane arrow shafts

Everything mentioned (except for the cane shafts) is stored in zip lock bags in my shop.  I put one or two moth ball "packets" in each bag (see picture below).  You can get zip lock bags in all sizes now...I even have two salted deer skins in two bags made for clothing and blanket storage.

The cane should be fine as is.

Wally-world carries the newfangled mothballs.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:13:09 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »
When I used to tie flies I used zippy bags and borax it don't stink and the critters don't like it. I believe I got that outta a fly tieing mag.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 01:35:24 am »
Osage, I don't put moth balls anywhere in my world.  Deer hate moth ball.  I've even heard of it repelling deer.  I ordered a pair of wool army pants about 3 seasons ago.  I washed them and washed them they still smelled.  I hunted deer rich environments and never saw a deer while I was wearing those pants.  I took 3 deer when I wore other pants.  Coincedence, maybe.  But moth balls and I are not friends.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:32 am »
Cedar is a good thing.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline seabass

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:00:56 pm »
Clint,cedar smells better than mothballs.it will keep the bugs out.that is why they used cedar chests for blankets and clothes.get you some cedar pet bedding from the local pet shop.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:37 pm »
Everything goes in ziplock bags then on the self for me.. Never had a problem..

Jon

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 01:16:53 am »
i know keenan stores his snake skins in a old army ammo box to keep the mice from eating them..john

Offline wolleybugger

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 08:30:56 am »
I go to cigar stores and buy old cigar boxes for the small things, can pick up some real nice boxes for a couple of bucks apiece, use plastic containers for bigger things. If you go to a fly shop they have sprays for your feathers to keep buggers from eating them.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 01:51:57 pm »
The nice thing about where I live (New Brunswick, Canada) is that we don't have to worry half as much about pests and insects destroying things. The cold kills them all off.

Go with the Ziploc bags. Its awful hard for spiders and ants to get through those things, and they are cheap, convenient, and replaceable.