Author Topic: The Hatchet Books  (Read 12867 times)

gene roberts

The Hatchet Books
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:02:36 pm »
Have any of you  ever read any of the HATCHETbooks.If not you need to start,there are lots of things like selfbow making,survival,and many more.they are great books.
Here's a list of the books:Hatchet
                                   Brian's Winter
                                   The River
                                    Brian's Return
                                    Brian's Hunt

That's in order.i just thoyght you would enjoy reading these books that I check out from my SCHOOL library.

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
Re: The Hatchet Books
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 11:09:15 pm »
We have read them at our house.  My daughter is reading some books for www.horsefeathersranch.com for more younger folks.  The two they currently offer by Thomasama she LOVED.   She has just finished another called "Sees behind Trees"  by M. Dorris.  She loved it and hope that we will be carrying that soon as well. 
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 01:46:35 am »
I wish my library was that cool,they mostly have the OTHER kind of bow books. So, where can a guy get these cool books? I can never read as much as Id like to. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline bluegill

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 03:13:13 am »
I have read all of those listed. Hatchet is one of my all time favorite books. Gary Paulsen writes some awesome books. Dogsong, and Father Water Mother Woods are other good ones from him.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 06:35:36 am »
Hmmmm will have to visit the school library, but don't think they will have them.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 09:15:48 am »
all of those are staples in my library. the kids love em. peace

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 11:22:20 am »
Most school libraries have multiple copies of these books.  The author is Gary Paulson.  Have fun....

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 12:58:24 pm »
Thanks I'll check them out.  For anyone whose library doesn't carry these, have them do an interlibrary loan.  It doesn't cost anything.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 07:15:31 pm »
They're great reading, but I wouldn't read to much into what he says in his Hatchet books for instructon, entertaining, but not very accurate. Actually, very entertaining :).

gene roberts

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 08:08:17 pm »
yes,they are not very accurate,although they do have things like bow building.most of the other books in the library that even mention bow talk 'bout compounds.Oh and by the way if your library has no books like that request them to the librarian,they ussually get teacher money at my school.My dad is the physical education teacher,he is starting an archery program,the can only be compounds though oh well.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 05:34:36 pm »
Paulsen's nonfiction book, Guts, which he based Hatchet on, is very detailed about his primitive archery hunting as a boy, and incidents where he has been forced to rely on the bow for sustinence. Of them all, it is by far the most accurate when it comes to the use of a selfbow for hunting (or how he had done it) and lots of details on his hunting forays :).

gene roberts

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 10:39:21 pm »
i'll see if my library has that and if any body has anymore books to tell us bout go ahead

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 03:15:17 pm »
Cold Ocean by Jon Turk. He actually has an article in a back issue of PA. Well writen and very adventurous :).

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 05:22:38 pm »
We are starting to put some more youth/adventure books on Horsefeathersranch site.  Minicalendargirl is writing reviews for some of them!  (Yes, I am so proud!  ;D ) So check them out!
You can always send her a p.m. if you want to know more or good age/reading level...  :)
http://horsefeathersranch.com/
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 07:36:44 pm »
Thats awesome Susannah I'm sure you will do a great job.  ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI