Author Topic: Short, fat medival crossbow, my latest  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Dane

Short, fat medival crossbow, my latest
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:26:09 pm »
Hi, Gang.

Here is my latest, and a sort of quicky project. The main function of this project was to try out some new methods and materials. Sorry about the lousy quality of the photos, and the cluttered background. Clean, but cluttered.

The tiller (in crossbow parlance, tiller means stock, not tiller as we know it when making a self bow) is made from two 1" flame birch boards. This is probably the last time I will do laminated tiller construction for a while. The nut is black delrin, a new material for me. I turned in a couple of docorative grooves, and used a cat. 8 bolt for the sear. The single biggest thing is that I wanted to rivet in the trigger rather that use threaded rod, and it was really not so difficult. I used mild steel rod from a home improvement store. The hard part is not whacking your tiller. Yes, I did, but pressed on.  The total lenght of the tiller is 28", and the curved tiller seems to really facilitate aiming. It could perhaps have been more graceful in design, but I wanted to a slab sided tiller that was handy to carry and use, had some nice curves, and was on the short, fat side. I kept thinking of pugs as I layed it out.

The bolt groove is a new approach for me, as well. Notice that there are a few tiny gaps, i.e. not perfect inletting in the bolt groove bone, but I was rushing this, blew it, had to remove the bone inserts I had glued in the first time, and thus....never rush is the lesson, and working when you are tired and should be having a beer is never a good idea. 

The prod, stirrup and trigger are cannibilized from an earlier project. I am not wild about this strirrup, but I had it, and used it. The prod pulls 100#

Another new technique was inletting bone down the lenght of the tiller, and that came out pretty well. I bought a set of Stanley Sweetheart chisels recently, and those tools just rock. I highly recommend them, but they were not cheap, as good tools arent.

I used long strand hemp for the bridle, and also for binding in the nut, kind of in keeping with a few crossbows in the book I have on a Danish museum collection. I brushed on hide glue this morning. Notice that I used much smaller gauge thread for the wrapping part, and really liked how it came out, rather than one long strand for the binding and the wrapping. Of course, that introduced extra knots.

You will probably notice the string is not touching the tiller surface. I thought that would present problems, but it shoots true. I was nailing a 3D deer each time about about 25 meters. The bolt starts to occillate at about 100 yards, so that is probably an issue I will address later, but at standard crossbow ranges, I am fine with it. The string doesnt jump the bolt, a concern when I started testing.

The stirrup is held on by rawhide lacing woven into a basket pattern. It is still actually drying, as is the hide glue I brushed on the binding threads. I will apply a little neatsfoot oil once the stuff is totally dried. And the finish on the tiller, btw, is TrueOil, about six coats. I opted for a shiny, bling look, though buffing it down with steel wool would have been nice.

The string is 100 strands of B50. That gives me an approx. 5000# string, which is more than safe enough. Serving material was modern serving thread.

Tomorrow I am attending a the NEPSG at Jamie's club in Woodbury, CT, so I can run it through it's paces.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:30:41 pm by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Short, fat medival crossbow, my latest
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:47:10 pm »
That is a Fine looking Weapon Dane!

Love your work.
Seeing the beautiful Crossbows that you turn out makes me want to build one.

But then I remember that I'm still trying to get Bow Building straight in my head.
Not to mention several other facets of the Primitive Arts!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:08:50 pm »
That was a quickey project? That thing is amazing!

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:17:13 pm »
That's beautiful, Dane!
Doug from Missouri

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:11:36 pm »
Thanks, Gus. Your words are appreciated.

Thanks, Adam. I hope I didn't come across as arrogant, just tossing this off in a few minutes, etc. It took me maybe 40 hours total work. The more you make, the faster it becomes. Some of that time was done redoing huge mistakes.

Doug, thanks bro.

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:24:23 pm »
No, you didn't seem arrogant at all.  I was just amazed as this would be a project that would take me forever!  Thanks for sharing it.

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:14:57 pm »
Thanks, man. I've been pretty much focused on crossbows for the last 2+ years. In between honey-does, of couse  ;D So, I've gotten pretty good at certain processes. That is the secret.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:11:04 pm »
Sweet work Dane, looks like you're ready to join the weapons guild!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:30:17 pm »
Eric, thanks. I am a member of the guild...sort of....a site devoted to just crossbows, sort of the PA of arbalists. Check it out if you like these things....google "arbalist guild." Great folks, just like here.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 09:33:13 pm »
Thats finer than frog hair split three ways. Nice job Dane. I gotta put one on my to-do list.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 05:04:22 am »
Nice work.
I particularly like the leather bridle.
The string sitting just off the runway is pretty cool. What dimensions, weight, fletchings & points etc  do you use for the bolts?
I have touble getting a clean flight with a (badly) forged point even with 4 fletchings (arranged like this) _\/_ although it did help a bit.
It's hard finding heavy enough points (I don't have a lathe to turn my own :-X)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 06:24:22 am »
Dane,

I was so excited to see a new crossbow post! Looks great to me...as always. Any chance you've shot a video of it in action?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 09:26:42 am »
Dane that is just plain nice. Never bothered to form an opinion of cross bows before, now I want one.

Lane

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 10:15:32 am »
That is cool!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 02:25:28 pm »
Wher edo you get those steel prods?