Author Topic: "Passin' it On"  (Read 4100 times)

Offline gothmog

"Passin' it On"
« on: June 07, 2012, 06:33:12 pm »
So another Tn Classic has passed.  I had the idea to try something different this year.  I've done a couple self bows, of various success, and had one osage turn out that Im truly proud of.  This year I wanted to try a BBI 2 pc take down.  I cut and glued it up with 5" reflex here at home, and had both pieces cemented into the takedown handle before I left for the event.  After a full day of scraping and sanding, BOOM!  The glue joint on one of the lams let go.  Didn't pull any splinters, but completely separated.  I still had plenty of time to get something done, thankfully.  My daughter has been shooting with me for a couple years now, having started with a compound and moved on to a Molle sent to her by Half Eye(Rich).  I figured I'd try my hand at a short self bow for her as a surprise.  I hope she shoots this one as well as she does Richs, she puts a lot of grown men to shame with that one.  Anywho, I had a really nice piece of osage gifted to me from a very talented musician in the Twin Oaks gang that had been cut several years prior.  Gary Davis helped me to split a full length stave off the back, that I'm eventually going to tiller into a bow for myself to have a matching "sister bow" to my daughters, and two short inside splits.  I got her bow fully tillered, and had a piece of moose antler gifted to make matching nocks on our bows from another member installed and shaped before leaving that magical place.  Top end comes to a nice point and the bottom nock is blunted for resting on foot or ground.When I got it home, Bryn was ecstatic.  She helped me to do all the finish work, from the layers of tru oil to making the string.  We left all the excess string hanging off instead of cutting because she liked the look.  She helped with the leather handle wrap.  She does not like shooting off her knuckle, says it hurts after a while.  I picked up the idea for the floppy arrow rest through the wrap from another bow I saw down there, sorry I don't remember whose original idea or bow that was.  Its a fairly snakey little bow, and I decided to put a rest on both limbs in case it decides it wants to flip ends at some date in the future.  Lastly we finished the handle off with some glass and bone beads we picked up at a native american festival last year.  Pics to follow soon.  Stats are:  47" NTN, 30# @ 20".

Offline gothmog

Re: "Passin' it On"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:53:21 pm »

Offline gothmog

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:24:19 pm »

Offline gothmog

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »

Offline gothmog

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:32:53 pm »
Just noticed in that first braced picture in the grass the tiller looks horrible, like it has a serious hinge.  Thats just a wierd camera angle play on the snakiness of the bow, it does have an even tiller.  It holds perfectly straight after letting it down from a short shooting session, hour or so.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:13:10 pm »
Cool bow, Goth!  Glad it worked out for you!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 10:49:12 pm »
Really like the bow and enjoyed the story. So cool that your daughter shoots primitive much less with her dad.( And speaking of
passing it on...ever noticed how many folks, me included, that halfeye has gotten bows to?)

Btw...that floppy idea solves a problem for me, thank you.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:14:15 am »
Very nice bow! 1st braced looked odd, but assumed it was angle. Mickey Lotz aka ferret is who I know to credit the floppy rest idea

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 12:16:33 am »
I love that yellow Osage. Nice handle and great looking bow.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 12:29:56 am »
Way to go. Sure is a beauty. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 12:34:58 am »
Lucky girl! For getting the bow and for having the Dad to make it . I love the family atmosphere on these sites. You know what they say, "A kid that hunts and fishes , isn't out robbing little old ladies". Nice work!

Offline gothmog

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 12:41:47 am »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  And for your keen eye at the classic, Matt.  She's been fishing and hiking with me since she could walk, and since the first Narnia movie came out has had a strong interest in archery.  Been hunting with me for about 3 years now, although she just sits, cannot draw a strong enough bow yet.

Offline t0dd

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:03:07 am »
Awesome bow from an awesome dad for an awesome little girl. That awesome little girl (not so little anymore) has an uncle who admires her awesomely as well. ;)

Good job. Post pix of her shooting! :)

-t
tawster, aka Todd

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 06:43:17 am »
Very nice snaky little bow,yall done a great job.Love to see her shooting it.It was probably Will that gave you the stave,he is the only good musician we have.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gothmog

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 02:00:08 pm »
Yep, it was Will.  Got both his CDs.  Good musician and a good guy to boot.