Author Topic: mountain man on history ch  (Read 4343 times)

Offline bubby

mountain man on history ch
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:32:31 pm »
anyone see the first episode, one guy was in the process of making a self bow, might end up pretty interesting, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sadiejane

Re: mountain man on history ch
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:25:44 pm »
wasnt home to watch but will catch it online sometime over the weekend.
think this might end up being a good show-certainly has possibilities-if the producers can stay outta the way
wild women don't get the blues

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:53:01 pm »
i watched it its all about living off the land ill watch it again.
bryan irwin

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:35:00 pm »
I have met the Eustace Conway fellow at Doctor Hart's Square, in Catawba County,NC. Very interesting person for sure.
I guess I'm a little critical but those guys are far from "Mountain Men" in my opinion. They are living on the edge of civilization, but not unlike many. Heck, Les Stroud and his wife lived more remote for a year in Alaska than any of those guys. He's got a series of videos on Youtube of their experience. Tough life for sure, but not what they are trying to sale.

Still worth watching, good motivation to be more self reliant.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:12:45 pm by nclonghunter »
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 12:13:30 am »
I have to agree with nclonghunter. It seems just another scripted 'reality' show. I do not think I will watch anymore.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 12:19:55 am »
Did some digging. Les Stroud and wife were in Canada..the Youtube video is found on;

Les Stroud - Snowshoes and Solitude

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:16:18 pm »
Thanks for the head sup bub. I never knew it was on. Im recording the whole sha-bang.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline agd68

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:38 am »
Finally came on our channels up here. I was relay eager to see it. Sadly, it would appear it's just another scripted reality show. In the second episode the fellow in Alaska goes to check his trap line and on the 3rd trap his snowmobile wont start. They made a big whoop la about wolves in the area and how dangerous they are. Then the drama hits when they go on about how he made the mistake of not having brought a gun with him, wolves howl in the background, this could be bad...yadda yadda yadda. The scene before this, when he was checking traps 1 & 2 he clearly had a scoped rifle slung across his back. I'll keep watching out of general interest but am sceptical about how real it's going to be
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 10:04:07 am »
I watched it once last year, didn't expect much,wasn't to bad but how dangerous can it be with a camera crew along with you.  :) Like most of them shows,pretty well set up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 11:14:08 am »
I watched it a couple of times, scripted, phony and aimed at city folk who don't know anything about hunting, farming or firearms so they don't see the glaring misinformation in the format.

Example; Billy Bob(or who ever he was) is given the task of sighting in a 30-30 for the boss. The boss has to get a deer or he might STARVE over the winter(another scripted crisis).

Next scene; the boss is in a tree stand hunting with the rifle Billy Bob sighted in for him. The problem; the 30-30 has turned into a Ruger #1 single shot. Well, the boss gut shoots a deer at 30 yds and blames his miss on poor, incompetent Billy Bob's lousy job of sighting in the rifle, except poor Billy Bob never sighted in the rifle he was using.

Next the boss has to plant a patch of greens or he might STARVE over the winter. Next scene, he is out in the rain turning his seed in about 6" deep with a horse drawn disc harrow. Any fool who has ever grown a garden knows that's not how you plant turnip greens. He is not going to get much up with the seed 6" under ground.

The show lost me at this point.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:59:43 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 11:55:38 am »
I watched enough last year to see all three "mountain men" and their harrowing adventures. That was enough for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 12:54:30 pm »
There is soooooo much crap to that show, that any mountain man would be upset at them using the name...mountain man. How many mountain men would be so poorly prepared???  I just kept thinking Wtf are you guys doing.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 01:01:21 pm »
Crap or not, Marty can have his Yukon lifestyle!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lowell

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 03:10:33 pm »
Was at a cook out 30+ years ago with Tom and Nancy Oar.

He is good friends with a couple of my friends.  He used to live in my area (N. Il.) till he moved out west.  He tells my friend what they get on camera they make the way they want to show it on tv. 

Can't think of a "reality" show that isn't probably scripted??
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 04:47:25 pm »
It's a little hokey, its overly dramatic, it isn't exactly realistic, but at least its better than most shows on TV.  Any time I see a TV show on a major channel, not a hunting channel, that shows animals getting killed for food I'm OK with it.  I would rather have my kids watch Mountain Men than some of the idiotic reality shows on most channels. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left