Author Topic: more rock  (Read 3582 times)

Offline iowabow

more rock
« on: May 28, 2012, 06:08:40 pm »
Getting rock is starting to be as much fun as knapping. It  makes me feel like I am a kid when i can just spend the morning poking around in the creek. The only thing that snaps me back is running into snakes and quick sand. I did better with the sand but had to move fast a couple of times. Just cant stop when sinking or you are trapped for sure.

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Bevan R.

Re: more rock
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:40:29 pm »
Nice addition to your 'travel kit', considering you pension for jumping into quicksand. :laugh:
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Bear Claw

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:32:44 pm »
I know what you are saying about finding rock. My wife told me we were going to have to build on to store rock. Lol
Aaron from northwest Arkansas.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:59:08 pm »
Hehe you have very good powers of observation. Aways be prepared.

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:01:06 am »
Tabular stone? I'd leave my boots in the mud before I'd leave one stone! Nice haul my friend.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:39:16 am »
I agree John, rock runs are a lot of fun! Yours seems to have that adventurous element with punge rocks, quick sand and snakes thrown in there ;).  Good looking haul!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:46:12 am »
Nice haul John.  I'm fixin to be needin some more rock myself.  dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:18:51 am »
The further away from a rock cut the stones get smaller. I'm also finding that large stones are in the center of the channel and below the water. Banks in the creek that have experienced erosion recently seem to be of higher quality. These rock layers seem to have avoided freezing and therefore have less freeze cracks.
Nice haul John.  I'm fixin to be needin some more rock myself.  dpg
Well good luck and be safe. I am going to be carrying a grappling hook so that I can indiana jones my way out of a pickle.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:13:54 pm »
John, do you seem to find better rock in high clay soils, ie. Less fractured, higher silica content?

Tracy

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:27:16 pm »
Tabular stone? I'd leave my boots in the mud before I'd leave one stone! Nice haul my friend.

What is special about 'Tabular Stone'?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline cgoings

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »
Hello all:

I thought you might be interested in some chert exposure maps I am creating for Iowa. I am doing it one county at a time and have Henry and Washington counties done. I am working on Louisa County right now. It takes awhile to publish each map because I am ground-truthing as I go. You can go to www.rollinghillsconsulting.com and click on County Chert Maps to access them. If you follow RHCS on Facebook, you will be notified when the next map is up.

Hope this is helpful!

Chad

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:15:39 pm »
John, do you seem to find better rock in high clay soils, ie. Less fractured, higher silica content?

Tracy
The top quality flint that i have found is where the flash flooding uncovers a rock out crop. This rock would have been covered with clay and is between layers of limestone. The stone with the clay directy on top is not my best stuff. The rock in my quarry has clay on top and is very cracked but is high quality but not the best. IMO

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 09:59:46 pm »
Interesting. The better hornstone nodules I find are packed in clay so to speak and have little to no fractures compared to the recently exposed chert by flooding. Thanks for the input to my working theory/understanding of better quality chert.

Tracy

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 10:01:02 pm »
Hello all:

I thought you might be interested in some chert exposure maps I am creating for Iowa. I am doing it one county at a time and have Henry and Washington counties done. I am working on Louisa County right now. It takes awhile to publish each map because I am ground-truthing as I go. You can go to www.rollinghillsconsulting.com and click on County Chert Maps to access them. If you follow RHCS on Facebook, you will be notified when the next map is up.

Hope this is helpful!

Chad

Very cool! Know anyone doing similar work in IL or IN?

Tracy

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 10:39:09 pm »
Interesting. The better hornstone nodules I find are packed in clay so to speak and have little to no fractures compared to the recently exposed chert by flooding. Thanks for the input to my working theory/understanding of better quality chert.

Tracy
Scott has found some and i hope he can jump in here and give his option