Author Topic: new to knapping, homemade tools  (Read 3129 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
new to knapping, homemade tools
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:47:06 pm »
This is my first time getting into knapping. I recently got a nice stone knife and some chunks of knappable rocks from a trade with Bear Claw (thanks), so I decided to give it a whirl. I started out by making some tools, so here they are:

1.5", 1.25", .75"  I also made a 2" one, but still have to find a handle for it. Each copper end was beat into a more round shape than they come from the store, then filled 3/4 of the way with some melted down sinkers, and epoxied on the the antler handles.

I have a smaller antler tine put aside for pressure flaking also, but was thinking maybe I could use that aluminum gutter spike (with a handle) until I find some copper for a flaker??

I think I will start out with some glass bottle bottoms first, so I'm off to go empty some after they reach proper emptying temperature  ;)

Offline TRACY

Re: new to knapping, homemade tools
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:30:58 pm »
Welcome! Nice set of billets/boppers. You came to the right place for advice and mentoring. Ask away

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:49:47 pm »
Welcome Uncleduck, to the adventure,obsession,& addiction called FlINTKNAPPING! Great looking boppers. Tracy is right there is a cornucopia of knowledge in PA. A real good bunch of guys & gals. Need any advice, just ask. Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Bear Claw

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:27:19 am »
Lots of very knowledgeable knappers on here, all willing to share their experience and skill. Any questions you have feel free to ask. Welcome to the addiction. Lol
Aaron from northwest Arkansas.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 08:32:21 am »
welcome aboard! Nice set of tools to start out with. Lowes, home depot,etc have diff size copper ground wire for hand flakers.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline chertle

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00:25 am »
Being a newbie myself I have to agree with everyone so far.  I have learned to not be afraid to post your mistakes as well.  These guys are really great at helping you see what you could have done differently as well as showing you that what you think is a screwed up point just needs some tweaking to get it back to useable ;)  I have to agree with the obsession as well......been at it for about three weeks and it is all I think about!!  Have fun and enjoy the ride >:D
Leslie
Indiana

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:31:23 pm »
Welcome, those boppers look nice.  Some guys drill and pin the copper caps on to keep them from coming off.  Even w/ epoxy, they take a beating.  good luck, and don't be afraid to break a rock, it's only a rock until it's on the stick. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)