Author Topic: atrificial sinew  (Read 4111 times)

kurogane_84

atrificial sinew
« on: May 26, 2012, 04:27:03 pm »
Hey everyone, im using artificial sinew to wrap arrows, hafting the heads, nocks and tying the feathers, i was wondering should i split the sinew into narrower strips or leave it intact??

Offline Ifrit617

Re: atrificial sinew
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »
I split mine into strips... It just looks neater that way...

Jon

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:47 pm »
Yea, I use it to tie on both arrowheads and feathers.  You definitly want to strip it into 3-5 strands.  Looks alot neater.

kurogane_84

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:34:56 pm »
I split mine into strips... It just looks neater that way...

Jon
Yea, I use it to tie on both arrowheads and feathers.  You definitly want to strip it into 3-5 strands.  Looks alot neater.

Thanks guys i used some sinew that was split already it looks good with some varathane varnish over it, heres a link to that arrow that i did

http://s786.photobucket.com/albums/yy146/jmichelin/Arrows/

Offline Scowler

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 08:33:55 am »
Looks good.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 06:32:43 pm »
Try using superglue to seal the artificial sinew some time.  It burns thru the wax and locks it down seriously tight.  For some reason it makes it look more like natural sinew then, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

kurogane_84

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 07:05:09 pm »
Try using superglue to seal the artificial sinew some time.  It burns thru the wax and locks it down seriously tight.  For some reason it makes it look more like natural sinew then, too.

ok ill have to buy some new stuff, i bought some  lock tite, super gel glue, hold for 5 mins LOL it is not ideal for what id use it for, the cheap stuff for $2.47  for 2 tubes, that is it sticks after a min, but seconds for the fingers lol

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 07:36:33 pm »
If the humidity is really low, you can always blow on the superglue so that the moisture in your breath helps set the glue.  It's moisture that helps set the glue.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 09:05:05 pm »
I've had good luck sealing artificial sinew with Barge cement.  Since I tie down my artificial sinew the Barge cement merely seals the sinew, holds the ties in place, and smooths out the sinew.  Never had a problem with art. sinew unravelling this way.  When/if the art. sinew gets worn, maybe after a few thousand shots, I just cut off the art. sinew (since it is only tied on) and replace it. 

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 10:21:57 pm »
I've used artificial sinew for a lot of bamboo arrows. It's made in different weights. I like the light 15# grade for arrows and just use it as is. When using the 30# seperate it down the middle and with the 70# I generally split it into 5 strands.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 10:40:53 pm »
I quit using it because no matter what I sealed or glued it down with it always frayed on me. I was always re-glueing and got tired of it. I switched to real sinew and hide glue and dries hard and doesnt budge for nuttin. Its a pain and stinky, but I like the results 10 fold.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

kurogane_84

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 05:35:42 am »
ie never tried sinew from animals, next time i get a Caribou or Moose i gotta harvest it, and try some on arrows

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »
I'm with Pearl on this one,I might use it for feathers and other chores but not for
mounting heads on arrows.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 06:07:54 pm »
ie never tried sinew from animals, next time i get a Caribou or Moose i gotta harvest it, and try some on arrows

I like sinew too.  I feel it is actually easier once separated.  I chew it a little, wrap, let dry and seal w/ pine sap varnish.  Works great. 

Man, w/ the above quote, you got a great commodity there.  Make sure you look into how to harvest it the right way and you'll have some really long pieces that any one of us would trade you something for.  hint hint  ;) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

kurogane_84

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 07:01:10 pm »
alright ill keep that in mind, ill learn the ways and see what i can do, moose season is open in the fall from october to febuary and caribou season is open from January till June but only can hunt them in the zones cause thier numbers are declining :(, im hoping to get a moose license to bag a moos this fall with bow if possible