Author Topic: Osage with Cedar Tips (Finish Pictures Added)  (Read 26211 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Osage with Cedar Tips
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2012, 09:14:40 am »
It's already shooting, though I'm surprised at my choice of upper limb now as I look at it.  There was natural reflex at the end of the stave and I chose that end for the upper limb.  I heated a little reflex in the lower limb and glued some into the splice but what I heated in came out in tillering.  I would have thought that more reflexed limb would've worked better on the bottom.  I'll shoot it both ways before I do the grip and floppy rest.  Never too late to turn it upside down. :)  Now that I think about it, I'll bet the string isn't centered in the handle and I chose the limb that made it closest to center shot.  I'll find out later today.

I'm batchin it this week Muffin, the wife is away visiting grandkids.  If I can find my tripod I might take a couple videos when I'm testing to make sure I have the correct limb up.

Yes I agree, we dodged a bullet when she opened that letter.  Those moccasin skins are really nicely marked.  I think the yellow wood behind the skin helped bring out the pattern too.  Usually a cottonmouth that long would have been much wider and almost black.  Cipriano did me right for sure, I texted him a picture as soon as I had the skins in place and saw how they looked. :)

I should get a couple hours of work done on it this afternoon.  I experimented with a rope wrap grip, but have decided instead on a plain black leather grip.  Just happened to receive some lovely black leather in trade. ;D  I love the look of a plain leather grip for some reason.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2012, 09:40:51 am »
Like that one a lot George.  Very nice.  Wanna see it in action. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2012, 11:27:58 am »
Good to see this coming to completion George. Nice design, great looking bow and interesting concept. Looking really good, can't wait to see her all finished up. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2012, 05:33:37 pm »
Thanks, I've spent the time I should've probably been working on the handle trying to capture a video.  Harder than it looks.  The first 2 arrows are with the originally designated upper limb.  The last 2 cane arrows are with the other limb up.  I find it really odd that it looks like there's a stiff spot just off the upper fade on both limbs, but neither appears to have it when it's the bottom limb.  Not sure what to think of that.  The string is centered in the handle so I can do either limb up.  I didn't spend any time to speak of cleaning anything up on the video.  I just trimmed stuff off the beginning, middle (while I was flipping the bow), end, and added a picture of the unstrung bow.

I'm not sure now which limb should be on top?  Either way there is absolutely no hand shock. Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/zgVrmQNFd0I

George
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:46:33 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2012, 05:39:47 pm »
Sweeeet.  I've thought on many occasions that that would be a dynamite combo.  How does it feel in the hand?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 09:26:37 pm »
So, this worked with ceder. Would this be workable with purple heart? I have a scrap piece of hickory that is only about 44 inches long, i was thinking that i wouldn't be able to do anything with it, now i think there is a possibility of making it work if i make a molle, a 40/60 lever to working would be workable since i would have about 36 inches of working limb and 24 inches of lever. Since i really dont care if the stave breaks further or not maybe its not such a bad idea. You have inspired me to try to do something ive never done! and to think i was going to give up on it! There's some pics of the broken stave.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2012, 09:40:18 pm »
I don't know muffin, that split down into the limb looks bad to me.  I hope it works for you.

I need to quit hunting long enough to finish the bow.  It's ready for the floppy rest and handle wrap.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2012, 11:36:53 pm »
Naaahh, keep hunting!!  Always time for work!  >:D ;D

Scott

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2012, 05:01:34 pm »
Propeller twist shows up like a hinge from one side but not the other !
Looks good !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 05:59:39 pm »
I have been Scott. :)

Thanks Guy, I don't remember it having propeller twist, but I'll try to look at it next time I'm out there.

Sweeeet.  I've thought on many occasions that that would be a dynamite combo.  How does it feel in the hand?

Sorry Slim, missed your question.  It feels good in the hand, lighter than I'm used to, but I almost always shoot osage so I don't have a lot to compare it to.  It's not as light as the one yew bow I worked.  I wish I had a chrony to keep track of how it compares to a plain osage bow.  It's a little slower than my 51#, 51" sinew backed osage shorty but that's understandable.  I wouldn't call it a screamer, but then again I usually shoot bows that are heavier in draw weight.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »
Ah, good to see, I had thought about wheter I had missed this bow or you broke it. Kept popping up in my mind every now and then. came out nice like that, with the skin and the splice visible.  8)
Don't shoot!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:18 pm »
The annual Christian Care Center auction is coming up so I finished this bow up over the weekend and it will be my donation to their cause.  I sure am slow these days.  I like the way this one came out, it is one of the prettier bows I've made.  With the joints it has a molly like profile at full draw.  I finished out the handle in black leather and it's shot off the hand.  It draws 47lbs@28".

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage with Cedar Tips (Finish Pictures Added)
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »
Great looking bow George!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2013, 08:05:20 pm »
Wow! Yep, worth the wait! Nice all around!

Scott

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2013, 08:07:28 pm »
NICE!!!

OneBow