Author Topic: Osage with Cedar Tips (Finish Pictures Added)  (Read 26221 times)

Offline Jodocus

Re: Osage with Cedar Tips
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2012, 05:45:17 pm »
This is real nice, the three woods in these poportions.  8)  I'd back it with a kiss only, maybe some extra polishing. But I'm exited to see what you come up with. It's a pleasure to look at already, I'd love to shoot it.
Don't shoot!

Stringman

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 06:28:58 pm »
Very cool bow, George! It's even better cause I just came in from the shop from working on a very similar short bendy piece of hedge. (without the cedar tips.)

I hadn't seen this post till today and was shocked at how much I was in your head. I just got the tips glued on and was thinkin about adding skins next. Your bow definitely has more attitude than mine, though. I love it!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 06:54:07 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words.  I'm torn between putting a special skin on it from Mr C, or just leaving it natural. My rat snake from the shop is actually a little too long.  I don't want to cover up the splice joints.  Decisions decisions.  Cool Stringman, can't wait to see yours.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 07:40:46 pm »
Very well done George.That smooth on is some good stuff too is'nt it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 04:53:32 pm »
Jodocus has a point...back it with a KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).  It would be a shame to hide any of that fine looking wood!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 06:44:41 pm »
Please don't hide the splices!  They look too awesome. ;D
Now you got me wanting to try yet another experimental procedure. LOL

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 12:47:49 am »
I've let this bow languish for quite awhile.  Cipriano sent me a moccasin skin for it and it got lost.  I was so depressed about it I went off and worked on other bows and flint knapping.  The other day my wife was shredding and found Cipriano's letter with the snakeskin still inside.  With renewed energy I'm pushing on now to finish it.  Got the skin on today and hope to get some time working on a handle wrap tomorrow. That moccasin has a nice pattern to it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:44 am »
beautifully done! what glue did you use on the lever splice?
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 01:03:00 am »
That's smooth-on epoxy.  I've shot the bow a bit and I now intend to leave the splices unwrapped.  It's a pretty low poundage bow (mid 40s) and I think they can handle it.  And thanks.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 01:04:01 am »
George this has got to be one of your prettiest bows yet..  Beautiful in all respects..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 01:08:22 am »
so im assuming the goal of this bow was to reduce tip weight and at the same time increase the length of this bow?  Impressive either way!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 01:29:04 am »
so im assuming the goal of this bow was to reduce tip weight and at the same time increase the length of this bow?  Impressive either way!

Pretty much.  I had a 48" billet and wanted a 56" bow.  Also had a juniper stave that had warped badly standing in a corner of the shop.  Looking around for something to glue to the limb tips I spotted the juniper and thought it'd be a nice light, pretty wood to use. 

I think my distrust of the splice influenced me to not pull the bow to the design weight while tillering.  Since I like to hunt between 55 and 60 lbs and this one is about 45lbs I'll probably donate it in the next Christian Care Center auction.  I'll try this approach again and next time make a heavier bow.  I'm thinking if I do a really good job cleaning and stripping back sinew I could make a wrap almost see-through over the splice.  I've got a very old osage corner post that's about 50" long I'll use next time.

Thanks Cipriano, your skin really looks sharp, better than I'd hoped.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 01:35:03 am »
I'm glad to see this always wondered what happened to it??? 

Let's get her shootin George :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 01:46:50 am »
hope you can post at least a full draw pic, maybe even a vid of how it shoots.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 02:21:45 am »
I forgot about this bow.  Great to see it nearing completion.  Good thing your wife paused before that letter went through the shredder...because those skins are georges, I mean gorgeous!  ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso