Author Topic: Hickory longbow - need advice for hinge  (Read 9602 times)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Hickory longbow - need advice for hinge
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:22:18 pm »
So I started my first true longbow, and it was going great until I removed a little too much material from one side, and I've been fighting it ever since. I've been removing material all over the place and I just can't get the hinge out. Can someone take a look at this image and let me know what they think? I would really appreciate it.

Here's the hinge:

Here's where my next targets will be (in yellow, with red reference curve):

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hickory longbow - need advice for hinge
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:24:43 pm »
Its too thin where its bending too much. Dont touch the last 14". Work the area from there to the fades and even the load out, your weak spot will be gone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:26:42 pm »
first shorten that string till you can just get it on, then go to the how to page and build a tillering gizzmo, then check your bow and post what you come up with, the gizzmo will tell ya where to remove wood, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »
Shorten that string first until it is as short as possible, without it becoming a short string. "A long string as short as possible."

Your left limb is already bending more (more deflection) that your right limb. Shave that right limb to match the left limb, too. Don't get carried away with those yellow circles. In fact, at this point you shouldn't remove wood from that outer most left circle. That's for later when tillering is nearly finished.
Remove wood from the inner half of the left, and remove wood along the entire limb on the right to match it to the left limb. You're still very early in the tillering process. That hinge can still be corrected without problems.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 02:30:37 am »
Yep. It broke.  :'(

It's discouraging when you really work at something and then blow it. At least I know what I did wrong. Stupid power tools. Had I been more patient at the beginning, it would have worked out very differently. The good thing is that I have more hickory, and I learned some valuable lessons from this.

Thanks very much for the advice, I will definitely apply it to the next one.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:52:09 am »
It really shouldn't have broken because of that hinge. The hinge was not that bad and could have been corrected. I'm pretty sure you just pulled it too far while that hinge was still visible. You just had to keep removing wood until that hinge was no longer visible at the same drawlength as pictured.

Coul you post a pic of the break? Maybe the wood was faulty or the grain was not straight enough. Did it break at the hinge?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:43:01 am »
first shorten that string till you can just get it on, then go to the how to page and build a tillering gizzmo, then check your bow and post what you come up with, the gizzmo will tell ya where to remove wood, Bub

I've fallen in love with my gizmo.  It will tell you EXACTLY where to remove.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:45:37 am »
What do you mean by 'Longbow?'
Is it an ELB? E.h no handle or arrow shelf/cutaway?
If so, then read on.
You've got to almost start from scratch as it's way out at the moment.
Measure the limb thickness at the centre and the tip on that weak left limb. Mark the bow every 6", work it out roughly how the thickness should reduce in even steps from the grip to the tip (DONT take anything off from the hinged area, just taper the rest of the limb to match that).
The limb thickness usually reduces by about about 1.7 - 2mm every 6" on a ELB as a start point to get you on the tiller.
Check that left limb every 6" and you'll probably find the taper isn't even and there are a few high spots and low spots.
Even it out with a rasp etc, blending it to a reasonably even taper.
Make the right limb match it for thickness taper.
The put a shorter 'long' string on it... A 'long' string should be only just long enought to get on without flexing the bow.
The string you have on at the moment is waaaay too long.
Having done that, pull it back a bit to check the bend is a bit better than it is now and post another pic.
Del
(It's a bit like the Irishman's reply when asked how to get to Dublin...
'Ah, If I was you I wouldn't start from here'  ;D )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:52:09 am »
  DARKSOULS right the hindge was'nt that bad for it to break there.There was another problem. With the wood or what you did.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 02:05:53 pm »
I broke a lot of bows eary on the tillering process simply because they where just too heavy! I exspected to feel my target weight right away on the tree(his was wrong!a 50lb bow should be pretty easy to pull,even more so with a long string! I find if I have to struggle in any way wether trying to brace it or working it on a tree it's too heavy!looks like you got uneven thickness in the limb in question.I usually make some pencil marks to keep this in check!hope this helps ,bobbyjoe!p.s marc st louis duoflex post on page two has some load force #s that might help!get and old bathroom scale and go from there!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 02:13:23 pm »
wood must of been too dry...my opinion..gut

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:30:32 pm »
You are all right in different ways. I was getting frustrated and may have pushed it, but the true reason was using a power saw at the beginning and accidentally cutting the side too deeply where that hinge was. It led to everything else that I messed up on that spot. Had I been more careful, I could have worked it out like you said.

The good thing is that I sawed off the broken part, and am now tillering the thick 'middle' part down and this bow will be for my daughter. It's still good wood! I'll take a picture of the sawed off part if it's still in one piece.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 06:40:55 pm »
Power tools are for roughing out a bow.
After that just leave 'em alone, I wouldn't even use 'em to get to floor tiller.
When in doubt, step away from the bow, have a cup of your prefferred beverage, or sleep on it. I think you should spend at least twice as long thinking about, and looking at the bow as you do actually removing wood.
More haste less speed.
many a slip between cup and lip.
Slow and steady wins the day.
Del
(other annoying sayings are also available ;D)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »
Definitely right, I am spending more time looking at the wood. It takes longer at the beginning, but it sure saves time later.

I also finally got tool I've been lacking - a PLANE. I can't believe I went this long without it. It just works like magic, and doesn't make my hands cramp up or go numb. I didn't get it from the hardware store, this thing descended from heaven on wings, with an angelic choir singing its praises. And there isn't a spot of plastic on it - just steel and wood, so there's no made in China junk to break like both of my Surforms.

With the plane, I worked the remnant into a VERY nice short 'longbow' for my daughter. It looks and feels just right, but it came in at 27 pounds, which is way to heavy for her (she's six). I'll save it for her for later and make another one for now!

I'll upload some pics in a bit. I think it might be my favorite new bow!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 04:00:46 am »
Excellent.
I know the joy of finding a new tool which really works for you, we all have our favourites.
Del