Author Topic: Nice straight Hickory tree... too close to house.  (Read 1045 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

Nice straight Hickory tree... too close to house.
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:33:17 pm »
I may have to cut er down. What is the best way to treat, preserve, and prepare it for bow wood? It is about 12" at the base and very straight. No limbs for the first 12 feet.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Re: Nice straight Hickory tree... too close to house.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:18:20 pm »
Me <--- drooling   ;D

I'm sure there are people who can tell you more than I can, but from what I've read, you want to get the ends sealed immediately after cutting it to prevent checking. Some people say to split it into staves as soon as possible, but that seems to be the opposite of sealing the ends right away. Be sure you keep it in a reasonably dry place and off the ground. That's what I'm doing with a bunch of cherry and ash right now.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline okie64

Re: Nice straight Hickory tree... too close to house.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:55:30 pm »
Cut it, split it, peel it and seal it. Thats how I do it. I seal the backs and ends with shellac, probably  not completely necessary to seal the backs with hickory but I do it anyway.