Author Topic: Pulled a splinter.....  (Read 1754 times)

Offline mississippidave

Pulled a splinter.....
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:44 am »
Well, I was in the shed yesterday digging around for some snake skins and came across a sliver of fire killed sassafras that had been up in the rafters for a long time.  I decided to see if I could chase a ring on it.  It was tiny, full of borer holes, and had some rot on one end as it had been a standing dead fall.

I chased a ring (they were very thin) and to my suprise got under all of the insect and weather damage into some nice clean wood.  I scraped a little bendy in the handle bow 54 inches long maybe 30@24 out of it and tillered good.  My wife and I shot it about a dozen times and then......CRACK :'(

It lifted a splinter midlimb at a tiny pin knot.  Upon further examination, the ring was so thin (but not violated) after sanding near the knot it just tore like paper.

Lessons learned:

1:  Sassafras is easy to work and beautiful wood
2:  Borers generally stay in the sapwood (at least in the pieces I have)
3:  Better back it if the rings are thin
4:  Sassafras wont stand the abuse Osage will

I only spent about 3 hours on the little bow but it was a good experience...I set it aside but may try to wrap the splinter with sinew and hide glue.  What about rawhide or sinew backing?  Probably too late at this point, I'd always be worried about the splinter under there....Anyhow, Cheers, Dave

blackhawk

Re: Pulled a splinter.....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:47 am »
Hey dave...ive never tried sassafras yet and i dont have any inclination too,so thanks for trying it out for me ;)

You could wrap that splinter down,and then rawhide back it to save it if you feel like its worth saving...and pass it off to some youngin...otherwise if not then it sounded like 3 hours of fun learning ;)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:20:44 pm »
Always cool to try something different, Dave!  3 hours isn't bad to chalk it up as learning, I figure.
1’—>1’

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:38:15 pm »
Dave: As good as it may seem, I typically shy away from standing dead fall unless maybe, it is osage.  If it were me, I would not waste sinew on it.  Just my two cents.....

Hope all is well, Dave!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:27:02 pm »
Better than pullin' a hammy Dave!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mississippidave

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:00:04 pm »
Got that right heehee  ;D

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46:43 pm »
dave  i have a thought for ya also i had some yew that was in my shed over 15 years and went ahead made a bow shot it andcrack  well got to thinkin got my moisture meter out and man guess what way below  it was 5.9  so like ya were sayin  thin ring s and stuff but still could it be way under im thinkin if we checked  and rehydrated the wood maybe it d have a diff out come   just a theroy bro  brock