Author Topic: Scraping while strung during tiller!  (Read 6062 times)

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
Scraping while strung during tiller!
« on: May 22, 2012, 03:30:57 pm »
I saw a post recently where someone said that they liked using a scraper because they didn't have to unstring the bow while tillering.  Apparently they just scrape the areas they need while it's still on the tree.  Doesn't sound right to me.

Is this true?  If so I sure have been wasting a lot of time.  I tend to go really slow since I'm not very good at the tillering yet.  I made up several lengths of strings and I just grab whatever I need to use.   Probably way better at making string than bows at the moment.  I primarily tend to use only a scraper when i get to about 20" of draw.
Kevin

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Scraping while strung during tiller!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:47:46 pm »
I now only scrape the bow while strung towards the end (getting the last few inches of draw length) where the adjustments I'm making are minor, the limbs are well balanced and the primary reason for scraping is to lower and extend draw weight/length.  I used to do it from the time I had the bow on short string and I had some bows take set that shouldn't have.  I also put the bow in a vise to do the scraping.  I scrape with a butcher knife so the back of the "scraper" is dull.  The down side to that is that every now and then my wife sees the knife on the work bench and brings it back to the kitchen. ??? :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:28:22 pm »
I'm with George.  I've been doing it a little while now and it saves a TON of time.  I hate stringing and unstringing and restringing during tiller.  Need to get a vise though.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:29:22 pm »
I do as George does...once I'm at brace height, a leave it strung while tillering, being sure to exercise the limbs between wood removals.  String and unstringing are processes where the bow can be potentially damaged...no since repeating it over and over necessarily.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:53:11 pm »
I'll ocasionally rasp, file or scrape while strung for the odd little tweak and look see. As long as the string isn't in the way, it doesn't make any difference, just saves a few moments. If it then looks right, the string can come off and the tool marks taken out.
Del
(Mind I do take all my clothes off to have a shower ;D)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 05:28:14 pm »
Maybe I'm reading you wrong ,but scraping while still notched onto the tree is not a good idea in my mind!I get it to brace height ,examine the brace,this will tell you tons on your tiller.put it on tree pull to acomfort zone draw ,stand back for a quick photo.lscrape it down,exercise while strung,return to the treeand repeat!I always mark the right side so I put it on the tree the same way rvery time.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 05:41:03 pm »
Yes, I do it particularly if I need to scrape the end of the fades. I don't use  a scraper but rather, I use a Swedish drawknife ad a scraper. Years ago I nicked the string with the top of a scraper. I cut through all but one strand. Close. LOL.  Be careful. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 05:56:30 pm »
Once I get the string off the handle it never leaves the bow until Im done tillering. If Im lucky I dont have to long string and I just short brace it after a good floor tiller. I use a stick to prop it up to clear my scraper. You can tiller a bow this way without a tree. Exercise the changes by hand then vice it up and stick it. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 06:00:38 pm »
Wow!  That is gonna save me a ton of time.  I definitely agree with the damage that can be caused stringing and unstringing unnecessarily.  I did that on a bow already.  It wasn't ready for the string length I was trying to put on.

I was wondering how it was possible for you guys to tiller a bow so quickly.  I'm stoked now.   And FYI I'm gonna be in trouble with the old lady cause this has to be seen immediately and I just finished one.  Usually I try to give her a few days in between so I don't make her to angry.  O:)
Kevin

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:03:44 pm »
Once I get the string off the handle it never leaves the bow until Im done tillering. If Im lucky I dont have to long string and I just short brace it after a good floor tiller. I use a stick to prop it up to clear my scraper. You can tiller a bow this way without a tree. Exercise the changes by hand then vice it up and stick it.

A stick to hold up the string,,, hat off to you Sir.
Have been looking for a method of being able to stay strung and get to the tips a without constantly nicking my tiller string. Its not only the time but I dont half suffer back pain if doing constant stringing/unstring.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:49 pm »
And I get a bad rap for being Mr. Speedy Hyper active bow builder. I work smarter not harder ;) There is ALWAYS a better mouse trap.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 06:12:52 pm »
And I get a bad rap for being Mr. Speedy Hyper active bow builder. I work smarter not harder ;) There is ALWAYS a better mouse trap.

And that's why I don't feel to stupid asking these questions.  I think I saw something about this around topic 150 somewhere.  As a new guy this info is amazing.  Look at bows and learn tricks from the pros. 
Kevin

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 06:16:23 pm »
i do it too carefully,but i have seen several guys(i wont mention names hahaha)nick n break the string while strung....it always gives them a nice shocked smile  ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 06:18:32 pm »
Wasnt me!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »
I scrape while it is braced but never when drawn even a bit. That just sound so dangerous. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!