Author Topic: making a hadza bow  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Dictionary

making a hadza bow
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »
I'm interested in attempting to replicate a hadza bow. There is very little information to be found anywhere but i know a little about them. Does the ttbb vol 3. section on african archery have any decent information to guide me in this?

I know the belly is rounded and it will be made of a dense sapling such as hickory or oak.Probably about 68 inches in length bending through the handle and inner limbs more than outter limbs. I'm going to try and replicate the way they make the bows too, using few tools. Probably only only a knife and rasp, and if i get impatient a hatchet. Not using a tillering tree or stick.

I have never made a bow with a rounded belly, usually they are flat because i rough out the belly with a hatchet creating a rectangular cross section. So this probably means that it will take longer to remove wood since i am having to carve on the edges of the wood not the center. Am i correct about this?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:14:56 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson