Author Topic: Agravation  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Agravation
« on: May 22, 2012, 01:06:36 am »
So.  Some times a tiny decision can snowball into a big deal.  See I was about to glue up another attempt at a R/D maple core Ipe belly bow.  had all parts cut and just needed to groove them.  Maple core was thinner.  1/8" (tad more) at the thick center and tapering down to 1/16" ish at the tips.  Now I had a 2 1/2 hour window in which to get it in the form and in the oven then get back into the home office and get a few coverletters written. 

So I'm working fast see... Cause I've grooved dozzens of lam parts.  But I din't move my clamp to the pull side.  And I got agressive with the grooving and flat snapped my core.  Crud.  Fine.  a waver in my band saw work gave me a thinner belly than I honestly wanted any way.  I'll add in a slightly thicker core of Bamboo from a pre prepped blank.  Just need to sand it and taper it.  The new bandsaw scarfing jig works like a charm.   

Thing is, I use glue to hold the belts down to the drum.  Generation 1.  Wasn't certain the idea would work.  I made a tilting table under my lathe jaws with a drum I turned on a stainless rod.    Works but I want a keyed clamping mechanism for the belts.  With the glue on version when the belt is going out the glue is releasing. 

I just needed a little bit more sanding but I saw that corner peeking up.  Two more passes and I'll glue it back down or change the belt. 

Nope.  Belt came of dramaticaly.  Shot the bamboo slat through the door out into the yard.  comepletely demolished the tilting table and sent me running for cover in a hail of sanding belt pieces.  No injuries. 

Ok.  It's fine.  I had parts for the Gen 2 precut and ready to go.  I knew this day would come.  Reglue the tilting table No biggie.  Turn the new drum and cut the keyed insert.  Thread the holes and countersink them.  Fit the key.  Las thing to do ... bore the end of the now larger stainless shaft to 1/2" for about 1" deep to recieve a bronze bushing.  I'll chuck a polished oiled stainless rod into the tail stock and insert it into the bronze bushing.  That way I don't bend the shaft and it stays true.

Now I've already lost 2 hours or so on my plans for the day.  Pilot with 1/8" hole (Ridgied Lathe is not known for accuracy).  Now I know that I'm using metal on a wood lathe and you don't just jump up to 1/2" right!  Guess what I did.  Went right to the 1/2" bit.  Got 1/2 way in and go the bit stuck.  I mean stuck like I don't know what.  So now I los my whole day and am not certain how I'll get this brand new bit out of the end of this piece of stainless.  Probably a pipe wrench and big vise would work great!. . .  If I had those.

All because I got in a rush on grooving a pre cut and tapered core lam.  I would have taken me 3 seconds to move my clamp.  Then 40 min to glue it up.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Agravation
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:47:29 am »
Don't you just hate days like that!  I'm just glad somebody else has then occasionally, too.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:36:23 am »
Shoulda stayed in bed!
Hopefully you've got all that stuff out of the way in one big hit.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 06:43:37 am »
Welcome to the club brother!!! Remember slow is smooth, and smooth is fast
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:48:22 am »
Yep,had days like that. ;) :) Sometimes things go as planned and you think nothing to this stuff,THEN things go bad and you wonder why am I doing this at all. :) :) I have found that if you will take a extra minute or 2 it will usually save you hours and a lot of aggravation. Still don't always do it. :o ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:29:46 am »
 I had to laugh even though I was feeling your pain. I had an old mechanic that worked for me, retired at 80 years old. He always said work slow finish fast. He was the slowest worker in the shop but somehow took less time to finish all his jobs.