Author Topic: reflex deflex  (Read 1811 times)

Offline darwin

reflex deflex
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »
Is it possible to produce a reflex deflex design using steam or dry heat and if so how would you go about doing it assuming no laminations?

blackhawk

Re: reflex deflex
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:38:10 pm »
i assume you are speaking of selfbows and not glued up laminates?....right?

if so id made several or so in selfbow form,and heres a short rundown of how i do it....and i use a small half split 2" dia maple stump i put on a 2x4 and heat up my handle section(stave must be floor tillered beforehand) with dry heat and once hot enough i bend it over the lil round stump and clamp down out about 10-12" from each side of the handle and put in as much deflex as you care to....then i reflex each limb over a highly reflexed half caul,and badda boom badda bing it has a R/D shape ready to tiller out.....n thats my short answer

now that ive played with several designs like this and putiing in the highest peak of reflex in different areas of my limb im ready and should build a form or two so i can do it all in one heating session

what exactly do you have in mind....wood type?specific bow stats? cna you give more specifics please

Offline darwin

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:41:36 pm »
I don't really know it was more of a musing didn't really have anything in mind. Was just at work not working and started wondering how I would do it.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:17:37 pm »
I do it a little different than blackhawk,but same Idea(and a good one too hawk),I have a 1/2 steel angle iron jig that I use,wood blocks and c clamps do the forming. I like the steel cause it holds heat and makes it less of a rush to set things in place,and I use a heat gun mostly,if I'm flipin just the tips I use a wood jig and steam bend :) Ron