Author Topic: Bamboo,hickory,elm recurve.  (Read 3082 times)

Offline SteveT.

Bamboo,hickory,elm recurve.
« on: May 20, 2012, 03:48:09 pm »

Here is a new bow I just made with some different features in it for me. I use the rope and wedge method for glue-up and so I began with a bamboo and hickory composite core. I find this to be an excellent combo. for performance. This was tapered and a thin bamboo backing was added and a tapered piece of edgegrain elm added to the belly.

Offline SteveT.

Re: Bamboo,hickory,elm recurve.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:56:02 pm »

I now added some deflex to the mid-limb and some reflex to the limb tips while keeping the riser area stiff. The length of the bow unstrung is 59 inches nock to nock and just over 1 inch wide at the grip. A bulbous grip was added after and this I stitched on a rhea leather  grip which has nice quill dots for non-slip feel in your hand.
This shape yields a very smooth drawing and quiet bow. The elm on the belly and the narrow profile keeps limb mass low.

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:59:25 pm »

The bamboo backing I then dyed with 3 colours , which has a nice contrast to the belly of the bow. Bubinga limb tips finish it off.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »
Looks to be an interesting bow. Can you post a picture of it drawn?

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 04:05:41 pm »

The bow is 50 lbs at 27 inches of draw.I want to use it for our long distance shoot here at our farm in June. I set up Korean style targets 500 ft. apart and we stand in our field trying to hit the things. Wind and sun in your eyes and teasing from the others, makes for an interesting afternoon of fun. It really develops good shooting technique along with your bow and arrows.

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »
I'm alone for the weekend, so nobody to take photo at full draw yet. Sorry. Will do later.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »
Looks good Steve. Did you ever have any luck getting Madake to grow at your farm? I remember you mentioning you were going to attempt that.

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:35:48 pm »

Hey Pat: You know I tried for years to get that stuff to grow, but it always freezes off. Oh well, nothing ventured right? Never gets more than arrow making size. So I always go to Georgia  to harvest madake and japanese arrow bamboo. That's a lot of work, but worth the effort. I've got some now that is 8 yrs. old and just like wine gets better with age.

Offline JBL

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 12:16:38 am »
Nice looking bow.  BRAVO!!!!
Do you have a full draw pic?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:35:49 am »
Good looking bow,love the finish work,looking forward to seeing the full draw.Nice job. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline fatherof5

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:06:12 am »
That bow looks awesome

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 09:06:56 pm »

Full draw pics.