Author Topic: back in the game  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Shondy55

back in the game
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:57:15 pm »
hey guys, I've been out of bow making for a while because of school and athletics, but now i'm graduated and i decided to take on a new project.  i bought a board of ash. its 6' long and an inch thick and two inches wide (approx.) i did some research and found that ash makes a good flat bow.  I've only made a few longbows and need a lot of help with a flat bow.  diagrams and tips would be a ton of help! thanks!
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: back in the game
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »
Look for Jawge on here. His site has alot of helpful info.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:02:36 pm »
You will find a link to Jawge's(George Tsoukalas) website at the top of the "How To" page.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:52:42 pm »
i'd go with a pyramid profile, 68"ttt, that will handle up to a 29" draw easy, cut a 10" pc. to glue on at the grip, 1 3/4" at the fades to 1/2" tips, 4" grip with 2 1/2" fades, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:11:46 am »
Hard to tell but looks like you had that one bending to close to the fads,they will bust there almost every time where you cut back into the handle if they bend at that point.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:38 am »
Did I miss something? That grain is not straight and that is where it broke. There is a picture of an almost perfect board on my site. I look at the edge grain. Most of the time (rift and plane sawn) the face and edge will be in sync but with 1/4 saw the edge grain has to be straight tip to tip.  Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boards.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!