Author Topic: Need some help with wood ID...  (Read 1749 times)

Offline IrishMonk

Need some help with wood ID...
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:37:08 am »
not much to go on, but if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Harvested in Dallas, Tx... so you got the pics and the region,  :laugh:
Top 2 are one, and bottom 2 are another...

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Need some help with wood ID...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:42:13 am »
I'm going to guess hackberry on the top one.  No clue on the bottom one.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Cherokee B.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:02:55 am »
Would deffinately say Hackberry on top, but the bottom kinda looks like a dogwood or an elm. Mabey find soome trees with the same bark and get some of the leaves posted ;)

Drew
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men... Colossians 3:23
Don't tread on me!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:46 am »
Hackberry as stated on the top, thebottom could be a young elm or maybe white oak,
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:49:40 am »
I'd go with hackberry and flowering dogwood. The corky "outcroppings" are indicative of hackberry. The other just looks like dogwood to me. The dogwood that grows around here has a pinkish tint to the wood.
  The contortions in both is from honeysuckle vines strangleing them as they grew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cherokee B.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:27:35 pm »
Hey Pat, what do you mean by honey suckle vines :-\ Never seen any of those, but we have lots of grape vines (wild, no fruit)

Drew
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men... Colossians 3:23
Don't tread on me!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »
Drew, honeysuckle strangles trees as it twines around their trunks resulting in the contorted corkscrew growth. Wild grapes usually just drape over other plants with only tennicles twining to attach them. Other vines like bittersweet may also contort tree growth like in the pics but from what I've seen it is mostly honeysuckle that causes these corkscrew trees.
  The common honeysuckle I'm referring to is Lonicera japonica(Japaneese honeysuckle, an invasive exotic that was planted by the wildlife folks for food and cover for animals.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishMonk

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:03:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies...
Yes they were twisted by vines. I keep an eye out for that when searching for osage etc, they give walking sticks and canes character.
I grew up pulling Honeysuckles off the vines to taste the sweet nectar. Good stuff...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:35:35 pm by IrishMonk »