Author Topic: Weekend Points  (Read 2771 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Weekend Points
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:30:59 pm »
This is gonna be a great weekend for knapping.  My truck broke down again yesterday when I tried 4wd and found out the new spindle they installed won't lock up and then drags now all the time.   Soooo, I couldn't get supplies to fix the fence.  My wife had to work so I'm loose for a touchdown.  Been knapping and working on the trade bow all morning.  Knocked out a little point from a spall Bevin sent me.  Everything went fine until I got to the second notch...when I knocked a corner off.

Had to adjust the base a little and ended up with a 112gr point.

Hope to add more points later today.  Then, my wife leaves to go visit our daughter so tomorrow afternoon's available for knapping as well.  Need to make good progress on the trade bow and do as much ishi practice as I can this weekend.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Weekend Points
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:57:54 pm »
Nothing wrong with that point sir. Looks much better that what I have made from some of that stuff. I should just send the lot to you. :laugh:
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:41:05 pm »
... I should just send the lot to you. :laugh:

Nah, check out what I did to that little mook slab you sent me... :'(

It was just too pretty to throw on the floor, so I made a little bird point out of the front end.

Hope the next one goes better.  Have one tip overlay gluing on the trade bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:27:16 pm »
dang George, them are flat nice.....ya know I cant knap but I do know real good when I see it, remember I got some of your deer killers ready to send down range....
rich

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:40:31 pm »
Thanks Rich.  I was looking at that maple backed birch glue-up earlier today.  Need to get on the stick and cut that one out.  I get so sidetracked by knapping. :)  I got the other tip overlay on the trade bow and picked out a snakeskin for it.  Hopefully tonight I'll get the cork on the handle and then tomorrow I can shape the handle and tips and glue on the snakeskin.

I knocked out another triangle point from another of Bevin's spalls.  Haven't notched it yet, can't decide what to do. ::)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:21:41 pm »
I am going to put ALL that keokuk and nob into my bag and bring it down in July. You need to teach me how you can take a deminted potato chip and make a flat form from it!!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 09:41:23 pm »
LOL, it'll only take a few minutes to teach you everything I know.  My first bopper swing at this spall shortened it by about 3/4".  ::)  It's a little softer stone than I'm used to.  I also had some bad steps, there are a couple small ones still in it.  I had hoped to get an andice shaped point, but had to bring the sides in so much to get at the steps that it morphed into a triangle.  So, I'm still not doing what I set out to do, but I did use the ishi to do 2 passes on each edge to get some of the look I was hoping for.  I did use indirect to knock of a big step in the base before I went.

I have plenty of potato chip texas flint spalls to play with.  Might as well hang on to yours.  Looking forward to breaking some rock into gravel when you're here. :)

The wife is home, time to jump in the pool.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:40:02 am »
Looks like it's a good weekend barring the truck issue. Corner notches on the triangle point would look nice and functional. Good work George!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 01:16:47 pm »
I'm liking your ishi work George! You got them flake scars going the way you want em.. I agree, corner notch would look real good on that last one..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline seider

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 01:40:59 pm »
Very nice points there.  I would like to come across some of that mook one day.  Just probably break it.  I have just been making preforms so far not trying anything yet.  Again nice points there. 
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Tower

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 02:47:57 pm »
Them are some great points George! Do you think we will see some hafted w/ some blood on-em?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:55:20 pm »
Thanks guys, but ARGGHH, my notching really stinks.  Every time I start with a good notch and then bust off a corner on the next one...

Good grief.

Do you think we will see some hafted w/ some blood on-em?

I have a few hafted already, but unless I shoot better than last year the only DNA on them is likely to be from me. :'(  Gonna have to practice more this year for sure.  I'm working on a close place to hog hunt and hope to get some bow setups made up.  Hog blood would be OK by me on one of these.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 07:14:39 pm »
I picked up a dark spall with a lot of coretex on one side.  It ate me up, hardest rock I've ever worked.  I went ahead and finished it, but I could not get it thin enough so it ended up at 250gr.  Have no idea what kind of rock.  I tried to notch it but they both stalled instantly, and now that I see the pics I see they aren't lined up at all.  Not my best effort.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Will H

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15:58 pm »
Those all look great George! You are really coming along fella!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 08:38:50 pm »
Wow! you're knocking them out. When they get sharp, put them on a stick. Deer don't care how you notch them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?