Author Topic: Creeping myrtle wood?  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Kullas

Creeping myrtle wood?
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:15:02 am »
I was just wondering if any one has ever used creeping myrtle wood for a bow. I cut a section of one of my trees and was able to get 6 staves total. as soon as i split them they sprang back looking like they wanted to be made into a bow.

Offline gstoneberg

St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

Re: Creeping myrtle wood?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 02:28:00 am »

I had always wondered about Crepe Myrtle as a bow wood.  I have some here in my yard, and cut it back, have a few pieces in the garage, to carve.  It is harder than Chinese arithmetic!  Would make a nice mallet head for wood chisels.  When my Girlfriend lived in Gainesville, she had a couple big stands of it in her yard, and had some nice straight staves growing straight up, about 8 or 9 ft. and about 3-4 1/2 inches in diameter.  I had asked her if I could cut some of it to see if it would make a bow, and she told I could cut as much of it as I wanted, but I never did.  Occasionally, I will see some around the neighbor hood.  I will let this grow up some and see if it will grow straight up.  Has anyone heard from El Destructo?  I sent him some carrot wood a year or so back, and never heard if he ever got around to making a bow out of it, and if so, how it turned out.  Thanks for posting the info.  The leaves from the Crepe Myrtle can be boiled into a tea, called Banaba, and is good for Diabetes.  Actually they boil the tea, and evaporate it, and you have a green powder, to make tea with.  I just put a handful, in my cup and pour boiling water over it, and let it steep for 5-10 minutes, then drink it.  You can buy it on line, or at some healthfood stores.  The Crepe Myrtle can get to very tall heights, like the red woods.  Never seen any here like that, but according to the info that came with herb package, it grows to phenomenal heights in India.  There are different species of it also, I believe.

Wayne

Offline Kullas

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 09:13:59 pm »
Thanks for the info. i have alot here in the yard most is around 25 to 30 feet. i got several drying. its in the attic so it shouldnt take to long

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:42:31 pm »
I recently cut some crepe myrtle staves I also have drying. I contacted Ken75, due to his experience with the material and he advised roughing out the stave to include the belly taper, but not the width taper to avoid twisting while drying. He said it would dry much quicker that way. In an attic or car he said it should be ready to work in 3 to 4 weeks. I haven't gotten around to mine, yet, due to working on my trade bow. Just FYI...
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Kullas

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:49:38 pm »
i was going to get some of them down today and do some shaving on them but i could not find my draw knife :( so i went for a ride. after i got back i looked for it some more and still no luck. i think my kids have been playing with it. i did get several poplar shafts made so it was not a total loss.