Author Topic: post your fishing points here  (Read 1196 times)

Offline iowabow

post your fishing points here
« on: May 18, 2012, 11:56:27 am »
This is a post for people who have points that they have used for fishing. I am going to do a lot of bow fishing this summer and will be doing a lot of experimenting with different materials,  so if you have ideas or want me to test an idea post it here. In three weeks or so stringman and I will be doing a mississippi canal bow fishing trip all primitive except for the reel part. This fall after I have good points and everything is working I am going to make milkweed string and trade it for the modern string on the bow and trade for a primitive reel and use milkweed for it as well.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: post your fishing points here
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:57:30 am »

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »
Have you thought about something like the mouse creek we were just doing in the POTM? I would think that with a barbed stick would work pretty well.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 06:04:50 pm »
OK I will pop one out here in a few minutes

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »
Look at the one GunDoc did. (page 2 of the POTM thread). I think that style over the one with the 'shoulders' would work best for what you want.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 07:18:31 pm »
In one of PA magazine back issues pic of some war arrows were shown. I don't remember which tribe they were taken from . There were some arrows with heavily barbed antler or bone fore shafts with small arrowheads attached. They look like they would be perfect for fishing. Too complicated for hunting another man.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!