Author Topic: Glues and more Glue  (Read 1525 times)

Offline bow101

Glues and more Glue
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:54:22 am »
I know alot of die hards are still using Smooth-On for laminations.. >:( Is that Crud really necessary since the inception of all these High Tech chemcials and Adhesives..?
Everyone using Smooth-On are using the Heat-box to cure the bows.
Is not G-2 or is it G-20 the stuff to use these days and without having to cook the bow in a Oven.?

Other note My car trunk will never get 100 degrees during the summer not on the Wet Coast of Canadooo.
So having said that..! All the expert bowyers state that over 140 degrees and the bow will delaminate..........ok True enough What glue Can I use..? :-\
Currently I'am using Titebond II for everything.. ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline RobWiden

Re: Glues and more Glue
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:24:06 am »
    I've used G2 a lot and think it is great. Urac 185 is good but apparently won't be available much longer. Lots of people use Titebond and have success with it, just make sure your surfaces mate well, it doesn't fill gaps like epoxy does.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:29:02 am »
So you don't have to cook bows using G-2 RobWiden..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:45:58 am »
G 2 is designed to just cure at room temperature although a reasonable room temp is recommended. Every Epoxy benefits from an elevated temperature post cure though. It toughens the bond. The best way to do that is let the lamination cure overnight and then give it a couple of hours at an elevated temperature if possible.
 A quick way to do that is an inner tube wrap and placing the bow in direct sunlight.
 G2 seems to be getting more of a name as a bow building epoxy these days but it has been recommended for that purpose for the last 30 years or so.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:04:43 am »
I recon I must be a die hard !
Been using Smooth-On like forever!
I don't use heat anymore cause I ain't in a hurry for anything anymore!
You youngsters will have to in lighten me as to this new stuff!
What is the difference of the new glues ?!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !