Author Topic: all week solo knappin lol  (Read 3095 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: all week solo knappin lol
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 06:01:58 pm »
Dang man! Your livin life good in the man cave! I see you've decided to quit messing with the regular arra heads and fast forward to advanced knapping :o :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 06:23:17 pm »
Myth busting the pine tree.  Was it used for fishing? Harpoon style

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 01:48:37 am »
The fishing trip went great and I learned a lot about arrowheads and what I need now to bow fish primitive. I could hit the fish but did not get the penatration.  I believe that the point is too wide.   So I am going to look at a couple of point styles and pick one that should work better.   So the points went about half way in, I think that they need to be about half inch wide at best with barbed ends and not long.  My long point was broke when I tried to pull the fish in.  On the second hot the point just did not go in far enough.  The forward barb held but as the fish spun around and it got off.  In both of the cases the glue failed and the sinew broke.   Very interesting how much energy is required to make this work. 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 04:40:18 pm »
Well I finished the bow and thought I work post some pictures of the points that hit fish. We thought that we were going to land the two fish but they got off.   So I know that the points need to be smaller and round like a drill so they won't snap when the fish goes crazy.  The arrows preformed great and held up to about 20 shots. The beeswax did the trick and kept the sinew dry. I am  going to make some points that look like sequoyah style arrowheads. I think they look like they will work. I like the two on the right side of the page.  I never got a chance to throw the harpoon so I will give it a go this weekend.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 06:56:50 pm »
I have bad news; the solo knapin week has been crashed by a new bow maker named Tim and two 18 year olds that now want to start making bows (recruits form the youth jam), and the worst news came today when work called and ask me to come in and help tomorrow for 2 hours.  Sooooo the solo knapin will be over when my wife pulls in the driveway at 5:30.   :'( :'( :'(

Stringman

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 07:07:14 pm »
Ahhh, poor guy! i was worried something like this would happen. Actually I was prayin something like this would happen. How dare you come on here and flaunt your free time in our faces. While we,  the laboring public, sit behind desks and steering wheels waitin for the weekend! Guess now you see how we feel! Has to go back to work for 2 hrs.... Geeeesh!

Man, I cant wait till I get off next week so we can go hit that cannal!   :laugh: :laugh: ;)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 07:39:07 pm »
lol... man this has been a fun week.   Hope you all enjoyed the post from your office.   I was mostly making fun of myself.    Cant wait to do some primitive fishing in the canals also in a few weeks with ya.  In a few minutes I am going to post a fishing point I hope will work. I reworked the one that broke.  Ohhhh and thanks for the ribbing lol. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 07:12:02 am »
Looks like a great week, nice work also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 11:07:43 am »
Yea, I sit here at the desk wishing I could go play.  However, my wife leaves Sunday morning for 10 days so at least after work I'm gonna get more knapping time.  I need to finish a trade bow too, so I can't just make gravel.

I love the bowfishing experiment.  I think I would experiment with a foreshaft with a short branch as a barb and then knap a real small thick point for the penetrator.  I'd hate to rely on a knapped barb to hold with a fish that's thrashing wildly.  I've got some arrow bamboo, maybe I'll play with that a little.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 11:47:16 am »
I think I will start a flint thread for fishing points so others can share what they have tried.