Author Topic: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics (Tool Pics added on pg.6)  (Read 43724 times)

Offline Dane

Re: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics(and more added)
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2007, 07:43:51 am »
it is a "real" composite, vs. the Grozer (or whoever) fiberglass "horse bows."

Aye,his bow is made from the correct materials whilst the Grozer and Kassai bows have a fibreglass lam hidden in there somewhere.But it's reflected in the price,
the bow in the picture is for sale for over £1000 whilst the Grozer/Kassai  'copy's' are around £200.

Loki

Salve on this damp morning. Yup, you do get what you pay for, however. And, the square quiver is very cool, I assume inspired from the Trajan column.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2007, 09:04:51 am »
Ekwos, that is just an incredible bow Congratulations on a job well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2007, 01:00:25 pm »
Thanks everyone,just a beginner tho.I'm still tweaking the lower limb with heat (hair dryer,just good and warm,not hot) . It is still a bit stiffer than the upper altho it needs to be stronger but could be less than it is.Keep going Dane and you'll have a hornbow in time,Ekwos

Tilbilly

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2007, 05:21:15 pm »
Thanks everyone,just a beginner tho.

.....and did I mention that Dad's humble. Don't let him fool you, though. He's alot smarter than I look  ;)

Offline Dane

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2007, 07:59:12 am »
We are both lucky to have you two guys here.

Just do it, Ekwos, eh? I was out eyeing the wooden core last night, so back to it I will go. The worst I can do is not try, and the best I can do is make a good horn bow. Funny how when you go out side your "comfort zone" the trepidation sets in. It does for me, in any case.

Dane

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2007, 02:34:43 pm »
Dane , if you only knew how long I was trepidated.............It started with my dad telling me about a hornbow a family member had hanging in the hallway and explaining how they were made,I was maybe 9 yrs old at the time.It kind of always stuck with me.Then,getting a computer,I saw a forum where a member was taken through all the details step by step.this was mid 90 s .Made up my mind to go ahead then and it was only a matter of getting the materials.Step by step and a lot of pondering before each step.So go on ahead and build that bow .Ekwos .

Offline Dane

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2007, 04:31:56 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement! Okay, just do it. This coming weekend is booked, but next week, I will get to cutting and steaming the Asian water buffalo horn set aside for the bow and start fashioning the ears.

Dane

Tilbilly

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2007, 07:59:21 pm »
Pa took some pics of his stringing/tillering board from the dark reaches of his lab. Any questions, he'll chime in. I hope you gentlemen REALLY enjoy these as I was "visiting" Pa at the time and he actually made me hold off on precious boo-backed ipe work in order to take pics  >:(

Offline Dane

Re: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics(string/tiller board pg.5)
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2007, 12:05:17 am »
Tillybilly, those are great, and the board is exactly the same one used by Jeffery Schmidt in the asiatic bow building DVD. I highly recommend it. I re-watched it this morning, and am really psyched to get mine out of the corner and back on the bench. And between your dad's bow and the video, I sorted out some sticking points that were giving me knots.

Dane

Tilbilly

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2007, 08:42:34 am »
I sorted out some sticking points that were giving me knots.

Dane, it was worth it just to know that!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2007, 09:54:03 pm »
Man! I can just hope to get there.....all I can say is wow.  :o
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Beleg813

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2007, 10:46:09 pm »
That's a beautiful bow Ekwos :) Thanks for sharing!

Offline sonny

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2007, 11:42:29 am »
is there a reason that the bend seems concentrated to what we would refer to as the fades ?? seems to me that it would be better to have the limbs bend more at mid-limb .
!!! with no intention of sounding like I know anything other than the basics of constructing a hornbow !! and certainly no intention of making fun of your bow !!!!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:44:32 am by sonny »
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2007, 04:27:20 pm »
Thanks guys.Sonny,that is the way Turkish style hornbows bend.The bends are what you would call hinges,bad in a selfbow,good in a hornbow.The sinew and horn can take the abuse.Those same bends could be a little farther out on the limbs,maybe another inch.They are not where the fades are tho,just would not be able to bend in that area.The limbs also bend further down .When you haul 'er back that area straightens out nicely, adding to the cast.Shot her this morning and man,she is fast.

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2007, 12:16:03 am »
I've just been going through this thread once more, admiring the bow 8)

Does the horn have uniform thickness along the limbs? - and approx. how many sinews did you use on the whole bow?