Author Topic: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics (Tool Pics added on pg.6)  (Read 43723 times)

Offline Ekwos

Re: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics(and more added)
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 01:24:21 pm »
Dane,there isn't any backing on her yet.I'm debating whether to just paint or to go with birchbark.So far,with aircond. and all things are fine but it is going to get finished for sure.Iwas amazed at the draw weight.Couldn't shoot it my self and had to let Tilbilly do the shooting.I shot it too much last week and kind of wrecked my shoulder,just didn't realize just how strong the bow really is.Retraining my arm now.Eppo Ekwos. ps A Turkish style bow doesn't need string bridges.Perhaps if the tips don't recurve enough then bridges would be in order.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 01:29:28 pm by Ekwos »

makete

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2007, 11:35:43 am »
Awsome bow!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the pics, just wish there were more ;D. Keep us informed please. And welcome, you will be an asset to us newbies. Thank you again.

jcougar

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2007, 06:18:54 pm »
Did you steam bend the pieces for the siyahs, or cut them to that shape?

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2007, 07:28:16 pm »
Jcougar, the siyahs and tips are steam bent and one piece.At about 45 deg.s .There is another 45 bend just before the siyahs,both at 8" rads.

Offline Dane

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2007, 09:10:11 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Ekwos.

Suppose you had not steamed in the bends at all, but just let the sinew and the curve of the siyahs take care of that? I'm debating how much recurve I want, considering the challenges of just bracing this kind of bow - not really into making a Turkish replica, as well.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2007, 12:40:18 am »
Dane,that's about what Tilbilly has in mind too.A generic hornbow.Just keep it short so the sinew can work properly.Ekwos

Offline Dane

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2007, 02:08:15 am »
Dane,there isn't any backing on her yet.I'm debating whether to just paint or to go with birchbark.So far,with aircond. and all things are fine but it is going to get finished for sure.Iwas amazed at the draw weight.Couldn't shoot it my self and had to let Tilbilly do the shooting.I shot it too much last week and kind of wrecked my shoulder,just didn't realize just how strong the bow really is.Retraining my arm now.Eppo Ekwos. ps A Turkish style bow doesn't need string bridges.Perhaps if the tips don't recurve enough then bridges would be in order.

Take care of yourself. Archery is supposed to be fun, not a way to produce casualties.

Regarding the bow I've got in the works, I saw some nice papyrus (spell?) at an art store a while back, and that might look cool. I watched the 4-hour Korean horn bow video, and that bowyer used birchbark imported from either Japan or China, and it had been soaked in salt water for something like a year. The other video I watched recommends birchbark (Schmitd), but he cautions not to introduce moisture when you put it on.

Oh, regarding the lenght, yup, going to keep it relatively short. I'm using the bone ear stiffeners found at Bar Hill, a Roman military site, as the point of departure for the rest of the bow. The stiffner is only 5.25" or so long, which suprised me when I measured it. I figure ash will be a good choice for the ears, and osage is what my core is made from, all planed and ready to go.

Dane
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 02:12:30 am by Dane »

Offline Dane

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2007, 02:11:45 am »
Oh, one more question if I can, and I hope this is not dumb. I was wondering why you chose to splice the handle the way you did? My impression is that you can glue a handle to one long core strip of wood.

Thanks,

Dane

Offline Loki

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:07 am »
Dane are you making a Hamian Archers Bow? this one was made by one of the reenactors on the RAT Forums,what a beauty!
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2007, 08:01:08 am »
Hi Loki. Not exactly, mine will eventually end up here, unless disaster strikes. :)

Could you post the thread, or just let me know which topic thread on RAT this bow is on?

Dane

Offline Loki

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2007, 11:57:58 am »
Salve Dane,
             The guy who made the bow is the 11'th poster in this thread,enjoy!..
http://www.romanarmy.nl/rat/viewtopic.php?t=16320&highlight=hamian+archers&sid=f4709b5f0d9dd962f39e352177465c1a
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2007, 01:47:32 pm »
Salve, Loki, and thanks! So, it is a "real" composite, vs. the Grozer (or whoever) fiberglass "horse bows."

The shame is so little is know about Roman military bows vs. other periods. We need a Roman Mary Rose find! The Nydam ship find is good, though, for "enemy" self bows.

Dane

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2007, 11:34:54 pm »
Dane,there are no dumb questions.Sure,you can glue the handle onto a straight slat.Was done in the past and is being done now.My handle started out as a 14" piece spliced into the arms with 5" splices but that is the hard way.Got to really watch to keep it all lined up.5 pieces all together.
Am tempted to start one of the Hun type bows too.They look cool. Just tried and can almost come to a full draw again,just start slow.No permanent damage done.Ekwos

Offline Loki

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2007, 03:54:57 am »
it is a "real" composite, vs. the Grozer (or whoever) fiberglass "horse bows."

Aye,his bow is made from the correct materials whilst the Grozer and Kassai bows have a fibreglass lam hidden in there somewhere.But it's reflected in the price,
the bow in the picture is for sale for over £1000 whilst the Grozer/Kassai  'copy's' are around £200.

Loki
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2007, 07:41:47 am »
Dane,there are no dumb questions.Sure,you can glue the handle onto a straight slat.Was done in the past and is being done now.My handle started out as a 14" piece spliced into the arms with 5" splices but that is the hard way.Got to really watch to keep it all lined up.5 pieces all together.
Am tempted to start one of the Hun type bows too.They look cool. Just tried and can almost come to a full draw again,just start slow.No permanent damage done.Ekwos

Glad to hear you are okay. And yes, the hun bows are cool. Most composite designs are cool, actually.

Thanks for all this. It has motivated me to get back to my composite. Just a bit chicken, I guess. :)