Author Topic: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics (Tool Pics added on pg.6)  (Read 43726 times)

Tilbilly

"Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics (Tool Pics added on pg.6)
« on: September 01, 2007, 07:12:52 pm »
 Here's a hornbow my Dad finished recently. He doesn't post but he "lurks" here. He's made a handful of backed boardbows, but he's always had a thing for horn and sinew bows of this design. Water Buff horn, deer sinew, ash, and hide glue. After alot of trial/error he's got one completed and took it for a stroll in the backyard. These are the pics he sent me so far. He layed down a little more sinew than he wanted, which made the poundage higher. Hence, he's not drawing fully (yet! )in this pic with thumb ring. He hasn't put it on the bow scale yet, but says it feels similar to his 60#@28" Browning Safari 'curve. The bow is going through some tweeking/adjusting as it reveals areas needing attention. That sinew stuff amazes me how it allows for changes and repairs after the bow is complete. For being on the cusp of his 70th b'day, I've gotta hand it to Dad for being able to build and haul back a bow like that. Pretty ferocious still.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 09:31:34 pm by Tilbilly »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New Hornbow Pics
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 07:16:15 pm »
Very cool little bow. Congrats to Dad for a job well done! ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 07:20:18 pm »
Wow, that bow really turned out nice. I'd love to make one of those someday - you're dad deserves a lot of credit for pulling it off.
Gordon

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »
You have good reason to be proud of your pop, thats quite an accomplishment just to get the first one working, that bow looks great!! Your dad must stay in pretty good shape. Steve

Tilbilly

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:49:30 pm »
Dad's a moldmaker/machinist by trade, so he has skills and problem-solving working in his favor. He's sorta quiet/humble, so I surprised him by posting this on a few websites. Seems most people BUY this style of bow if they want one. Often the 'glass versions. So it's a little unique and interesting to be able to show that somebody has tried their hand at making one. Dad's studied up on these bows and their history for quite a few years before getting around to any actual building. Sinew really amazes me. I've seen this bow appear ruined and then renewed with sinew, as well as CA glue in cracks. I remember one section of horn became problematic as well. So that got removed and replaced. The bow now appears, and shoots, like new. So I imagine he'll want to "purdy it up" next.
Maybe name it "Pheonix". He's already set aside materials for three more bows. My poor mother................LOL.

He doesn't work out, other than gardening and using a treadmill. Big arms and strong shoulders seem to be common in his family. I've pounded the iron since I was 12, but Dad seems to be able to pull back the same bows I can. Just a matter of keeping that going for another 40 years.......
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 10:42:14 pm by Tilbilly »

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 09:02:14 pm »
That's really awesome! I'm always amazed by the huge reflex they can withstand. Must be really fast 8)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:16:41 pm »
All I can say is awesome, heck of a bow by a heck of a guy.
Tell pops not to lurk as it is apparent he has some skills to pass on to us young uns. ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Tilbilly

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 09:28:17 pm »

Kviljo, Dad says it screams an arrow fast. I haven't been present yet when he's shot it. Can't wait, though.
I've read that these bows are extremely efficient and really shine even when using an extremely heavy arrow.
He's got a chrony tucked away somewhere. Just a matter of hitting the chrony, I mean, the target  ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 10:39:40 pm by Tilbilly »

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 01:10:39 am »
I'm fascinated by those bows, the lines are really nice. Your Dad did a great job.
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 01:15:49 am »
Cool hornbow...   You better make sure you are taking lessons from your pa.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 04:29:55 am »

now   T H A T is a hornbow!  very nice! it's turkish style, right?!
congrats to your dad for bow and birthday,
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 04:34:00 am »

ps: think your dad would share some details?? - did he splice the siyahs? what did he use for siyahs?? messurements maybe??????
Frank from Germany...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 09:29:12 am »
Very nice bow. Don't see horn bows being made very often
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Tilbilly

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 09:53:46 am »
Kinda wish he would post. Saves me some typing. And he could 'splain better. Heck, he was into Primitive Archer and the website for quite some time before I clued in and started making an effort to learn from y'all. Personally, I'm still trying to get a backed board to cooperate with me.

Not sure whether I'll attempt one of these bows someday, but I'm fascinated  regardless.
All the wood used is white ash from a local wood mill. I remember him starting with maple and having troubles. But that was probably due to the learning process and not the wood. The siyas are spliced in.

This posting seems to have generated some interest ('til deer season starts  ;) ), so I'll email Pa for more pics. He mentioned in the past that he took, and saved, more. Would be nice to see different stages of progress. He has a new digital, his old was really an oldy. So the pics won't be as good as the ones above. But........

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 09:57:53 am »
Mighty fine looking hornbow, not many of us would have the patience to tackle a project like that. Looks like he's got a nice patch of arrow cane, too. Dad, quit lurking and talk to us!  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.