Author Topic: Wood ID  (Read 1917 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Wood ID
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:59:39 pm »
After my guinea pig aka Blackhawk made a fine bow out of some Black locust tobacco beams I found in an old barn, I went back to get some more.  While I was gathering them up, I found a piece that was something different.  It was a lot heavier and had a smoother bark.  I don't know what it is.  Somebody looked at it and guessed some kind of hickory.  Whatever it is, it's very dense.  Can anybody tell me what it is?  If it's hickory, what kind is it?  I'm only familiar with shagbark.

It's the two middle pieces covered with bird poop.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

Re: Wood ID
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:13:02 pm »
Oink..oink... :laugh:

Yup your crap covered mystery wood  is hickory clint...i cant tell which type cus it never developed its mature bark yet,but its def hickory by the lil dark streaks in the kinda smooth gray bark  ;)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:20:37 pm »
   It looks like what here in WV is called pig nut hickory. HICKORYS is my favoret white wood. I've built unteen D shaped HICKORY BOWS. Hickorys best with a flat belly and don't mine crowns either.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »
Thanks guys.

Hey Blackhawk, I think I found some better pieces of that BL.  I'll make sure and save some for you.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »
I cut a hickory sapling about that size with Identical bark. I ID it as bitter nut hickory based on the buds..  Stuff is damn near impossible to break.. hope this helps.

Jon

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »
Thanks guys.

Hey Blackhawk, I think I found some better pieces of that BL.  I'll make sure and save some for you.

Why do i hear sarcasm in your voice?  ::)  :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:35:13 pm »
Clint, I'd say one of the smooth bark hickories like pignut, etc.   Check it out real good if it has been in contact with the ground.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 06:07:15 pm »
Pat, it was hanging in the hay loft of an old barn for 10 years, 20 years, who knows how long. 

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 07:44:46 pm »
Definitely hickory. That high ring count is usually a pretty good indicator, they are very slow growing trees. Those should make some great bows if fungus didnt get to em.