Author Topic: My new caul  (Read 12796 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

Re: My new caul
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 06:29:34 pm »
Very nice! I see one in my future!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Bert

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »
Looking like a real trusty setup there !
Nice one !

Offline Will H

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 08:46:46 pm »
Now I like that Chris! Well done fella ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 04:31:27 am »
That is what I am going to model mine after.  I have some 2 x 8" handy, and that is just the caul to base one on. Thanks for sharing.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 10:55:39 am »
For Charlie to view.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 11:26:33 am »
I'm on it! heading to lumber yard at lunch! I've done very little heat bending on my bows but am getting started on it so i have been thinking about this recently.

A more general question, I things will likely change from bow to bow, but as a rough estimate how long did it take to bend that bow pictured from start to finish?

One thing i struggle with as a new bender is if i am getting the wood hot enough. What i have bent stays put but i'm not sure if i could have gotten by with less heat? 
45# at 27"

Offline Roy

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 11:29:38 am »
Real nice Chris.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 11:35:24 am »
Awesome.  Now all you have to do is trace it out on a long piece of butcher paper or something and send it to me....lol... That would be way to easy right?  That is very slick Pearl.  I see another form in the  making already.  Thanks man.

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 12:06:42 pm »
Thank you pearl drums. I'm making one tomorrow and now I don't have to search far.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 12:32:22 pm »
Just use an aluminum yard stick and screws Charlie. It will flex evenly and give you a nice shape. I will take pics this weekend and show you what I mean exactly. Actual measurements arent any good at all. It doesnt have to match to the 1/8" to get a good caul made. Avoid numbers and keep it simple buddy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 12:37:45 pm »
Pearl Drums, Thats what I had in mind when I asked the questions earlier. The only thing I have'nt done is the part with the flipped tips. I still need to add the back splash to it for side to side stuff. Thanks for posting it. Its gonna help us more than you realize. Some of us are just too darn dense to visualize it by ourselves.

Clint, I stil haven't taken pics of the jig to hold the heat gun but will get to it soon, although I like the idea PD has if I could find something like it cuz I like its adjustability and swivel action. Mine is just 2x4's with a 2 1/2" hole but in it to hold the heat gun nozzle.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 01:04:57 pm »
Nice. I like the "heat gun on a stick". Smart idea.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 01:48:49 pm »
blueprints stolen!  ;D
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 04:54:18 pm »
Pearl,
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I can see one of these in my future.
If only you had gotten a little more of that light stand in the picture..........

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 05:02:12 pm »
Enjoy. Its nice to be able to reflex, straighten laterally and temper in one heat. I believe it to be better for the wood as well. This is just one of 5 or 6 I use. It depends on the style of the bow and the length. On this particular caul you dont have to flip the tips each time. You can stop the heat and clamps there and just have a straight reflexed blank. 

Work smarter, not harder!