Author Topic: Buddy  (Read 4874 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Buddy
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:46:35 pm »
While I was at the Classic, our daughters 4-H rabbit had her first litter of babies.  I came home Sunday to an upset wife.  The rabbit was not feeding the babies.  All of them were dead except for one and he was just barely alive.  He was skinny as can be, almost hairless, and all wrinkly.  We held the mother rabbit and put the baby on her to feed.  It worked, but she wouldn't feed it on her own.  We lined a small box with rags and put warm water bottles in it.  We carry him down to the mother 3 times a day to drink.  It has been a week and he has greatly improved.  He isn't naked any more, he is covered with white peach fuzz.  He walks and hops around clumsily.  His eyes are still shut, but should be opening any day now.  This thing started out as a meat pen livestock rabbit, but after my wife has cuddled it so much, he won't be going anywhere.  She's already told me that I have to build him the fanciest rabbit hutch ever.  His name is Buddy.

Here he is at 2 or 3 days old.

Here he is at just over a week.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Buddy
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:16:55 pm »
I raise a lot of rabbits, it is not uncommon for the first few litters to be down right frustrating. I have a three strikes your out rule for does....some are just crappy mothers.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:26:00 pm »
Such a tough guy and yet so soft and fuzzy aint ya' Clintster!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 09:40:54 pm »
There ain't nothin' cuter than a sleeping baby bunny  :)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:22:43 am »
Such a tough guy and yet so soft and fuzzy aint ya' Clintster!

X2  ;D

Way to go Clint, that's animal husbandry there.  After this one, I'd be surprised if any of your rabbits get eaten.  ::)  ;D dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:01:39 pm »
Signature quote from osage outlaw reads...." i love animals,they taste great"........lol :laugh:......hmmmmm??....got an oxymoron going on here clint  ???  ::)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:35 pm »
Hello world

His eyes finally opened. 

And if anyone ever tries to put this thing in a frying pan, my wife will turn into a mother grizzly bear real fast  ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:55:08 am by osage outlaw »

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:33:12 pm »
I know several people that keep rabbits as house pets. Train em to a litter box. Then you don't have to build a fancy hutch.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:46:34 pm »
I suggested that we get rid of the worthless cat and keep the rabbit inside.  That was a no go.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:56:48 pm »
His eyes finally opened. 

And if anyone ever tries to put this thing in a frying pan, my wife will turn into a mother grizzley bear real fast  ;D

In that case I won't even make the comment about hawk food and I'll go thaw another rat for the redtail.

:'(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 01:54:33 am »
That's probably a good idea JW.  The wife cuddles this little thing all the time.  I can't say much though.  When I relax and watch a little TV in the evening, he will curl up on my chest and fall asleep. 

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 03:01:06 am »
Double o good on ya for being the rabbit Daddy ....the under dog (bunny in this case )has a way of tugging @the old heart strings dont it :)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline chertle

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 01:31:07 pm »
Wow....how cute!!  I agree with moving it inside.  I used to have a bunny that we trained to use a litter box and it was a lot of fun having her hop around!! :laugh:
Leslie
Indiana

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 02:55:56 pm »
Ya, he would get a move inside here.....in about 12 weeks he would be right next to the crock pot! ;)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 01:10:33 pm »
I thought I would give one final update on Buddy.  After a while, we re-introduced him to his mother and she finally figured it out.  She has taken great care of him since we put them back together.  He is a fuzzy little butter ball.  He weighs over 3 lbs now.