Author Topic: The bow that changed my life  (Read 4649 times)

Offline FlintWalker

The bow that changed my life
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:52:28 am »
Some of you may remember this one...some may not.   I for one, will NEVER forget it!
 This bow was the first selfbow I ever saw and it totally blew me away.  I spotted it on another site and returned to the thread many times and just stared at it, dreaming of what it would be like to make something so graceful and beautiful.  I sent so many Pm's to the maker, I started to get the feeling he might think I was a stalker :laugh: I even went so far as to ask him if I could have his phone number :-[  (I'm sure he thought it then).   It was during one or our  phone conversations that I learned about the Tn Classic. I'd never heard of it ???, but if  this bow and bowyer was gonna be there...I had to go!!! (
 My brother and I parked way up on the hill near the gate. By the time we made it over the hill to the cabin, I knew the place was special. Just how special...I was yet to see.   I remember meeting GregB, Minuteman, Ridgerunner, Pappy and eventually Ryan O'Sullivan. (He was the feller that made that AWESOME bow).
 Anyway...that bow lead me to the 2007 TN Classic.   I've been in attendance ever since. The times I've spent in that holler are some of my most cherished memories. The friendships I've made are the kind that only get stronger with time. I truly believe I'm a better person because of the Classic and the friends I've made there.
   Ryan gave me this bow at this years Classic :o 8) And I've still never seen one I like any morel!!!  Thank you my friend...I will cherish it. :)

A bow lead me there, but the people kept me coming back.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:06:23 pm by FlintWalker »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

TurtleCreek

Re: The bow that changed my life
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:58:17 am »
Beautiful bow and a great little story to go along with it.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:23:43 am »
What an awesome journey to a sweet end ;) congratulations !!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:53:44 am »
Man that really is one awesome bow! I bout got a tear in my eye when Ryan handed it to ya and said it was yours now ;) Just remember what he said now and be sure and kill somethin with it :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 02:26:54 am »
Man that really is one awesome bow! I bout got a tear in my eye when Ryan handed it to ya and said it was yours now ;) Just remember what he said now and be sure and kill somethin with it :)
Will, that bow'll be in my hand on opening day of deer season this year and I won't put it away till she's made meat!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 03:29:10 am »
Love at first sight eh? I can see why...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 09:52:09 am »
That is a beautiful bow, for sure. Let me get this straight, all I have to do is pick out one of the very gifted bowyers on here and stalk them for a couple of years....Am I right so far?... ;)

Just kidding, of course. Good luck hunting with it!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 10:04:15 am »
That is a beautiful bow, for sure. Let me get this straight, all I have to do is pick out one of the very gifted bowyers on here and stalk them for a couple of years....Am I right so far?... ;)

Just kidding, of course. Good luck hunting with it!!
Worked for me!   So far I've collected a bunch of knives, arrows, leather goods and several nice bows from some of the best bowyers in the country. I've met singers dancers, turd herders, one clown (really) and a LOT of the finest people on EARTH!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 10:08:51 am »
Well i'll be darned. I believe i remember that bow, seems like i was thinking about it yesterday while watching my latest recurves straighten back out in the hot box >:(. If that's it then Ryan's opening line was something like "check this bad boy out". Hence, i started messing with steam bending some wood. Beautiful bow there Shannon/ Ryan!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 10:17:53 am »
That's the one Paul! 8)  My jaw dropped when I saw it.    I recall a dandy recurve you made a good while back too. If you've still got it, I may have just found my next best victim...er..uh...I mean friend  >:D...... ;D  I can't let Eddie get 'em all! :laugh: We sure missed you this year :'(

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 11:17:25 am »
I remember that bow as well. Its amazing how some bows just stick with you over the years. Ryan and I were talking bows last week at the Classic and he mentioned a "duoflex" he had made. Now it is at its new home and apparently great appreciated by its new owner.  8)
  I just love this great, big family that we've become part of through PA and reinforced with the Tenn. Classic.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 12:48:02 pm »
Shannon It was good to be to spend some time with you at the classic and Meet Ryan and a few others.

Been listening to CD in my truck since I left TN Sunday.

That is one fine bow for sure, I look forward to some harvest pics for sure.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 01:31:38 pm »
I think there is just something special about Tennessee. I'm glad to have been born there  :laugh:

maybe one day i'll make it to the classic and be able to experience something like what you did
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 06:14:49 pm »
I remember that bow being posted as well!Think it won BOM!Just one of many bows that got me hooked on making these sticks!Thanks to all that inspire like this-Hammertime

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 10:17:15 pm »
I've always thought that Ryan O. makes the prettiest recurves I've ever seen.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.