Author Topic: Need eyes for tiller help.  (Read 11330 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Need eyes for tiller help.
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 02:16:13 pm »
Not a long enough heat Fred. Its not ruined either. Those are "stretch" cracks and can be filled with super glue and stay perfectly stable for a long time. Tip flipping forms should be at least 18-25" long so you can be sure the limb stays aligned as you bend it. Yoru close, dont quit now. Heat the twist back out and move along. Dont get discouraged about a tiny set back like this. Your bow is more than long enough to support the flipped tips.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Need eyes for tiller help.
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 10:30:14 pm »
The bandsaw showed up last Monday and it took a couple days of reading and tinkering to get it tuned properly. So now I have a new toy to play with.
Is there a good set of plans online to copy for the forms for bending and flipping tips?
I did some work on the bow today and also noticed a splinter on the back of the bottom limb. It raised directly below a cluster of 3 real small pin knots about 12" from the tip moving downward right in the middle of the limb. They do not run off the edge. Can it be patched? I did glue it with super glue and cant hardly see it after light sanding. Camera wouldn't focus close enough so can't see it in the picture I took. I braced the bow and it shows up better.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:10:35 am by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.