Author Topic: Need eyes for tiller help.  (Read 11332 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Need eyes for tiller help.
« on: May 11, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »
I just don't have the eyes for this yet and am trying to complete my first. 64" NTN.
Top limb on the right is 1 1/2" longer. Don't want to take any more weight off than I have to as I'm already under what my goal was.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline johnston

Re: Need eyes for tiller help.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:49:42 pm »
What does the front profile look like?

Lane

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »
Fred,
     to my old eye (half eye dont ya know) both bends look nice and even through-out their length. All my bows got even length limbs so I'm allways tryin to get them symetrical to each other as well, but in your case the bends look real even, like I said. Maybe pull it a couple inches more from brace and see if the bends are are still even, if so, I guess ya about got it, except for whatever finsih sandin ya want to do, etc.

course that's just one guys opinion
rich

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 06:19:55 pm »
I keep watching all the beautiful bows being built on here and feel like I'm missing something somewhere. I'll post another pic of the bow drawn further but afraid to take it too far before I get some advice. The top limb looks stronger to my eye than the bottom and I am going to try to even them up by heating and clamping and will try to get some weight back by toasting the belly. Top limb has a slight amount of twist but nothing I'm concerned about at this point.
First pic back and last pic belly unstrung on the floor and then a couple of others.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:23:11 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:52:19 pm »
Looks pretty good at brace height. Its hard to say how good until we see it drawn back on the tree at least a little bit. Looks like it has pyramid limbs which means it needs to bend pretty even throughout the whole limb.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:23:26 pm »
Brace is currently 5 1/2" and bow is shown drawn to just less than 10". I don't have my board pegged yet so I jimmyrigged it.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:01:57 pm »
Right limb is definitely stiffer, i'd loosen up the midlimb a touch.  Also, is there a reason you don't have it centered on the tree?  Your handle rest and string are both above center on the bow, and that's going to strongly affect how things look. 

Oh, and you can leave the right limb a LITTLE stiff and let it be the bottom :)

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:13:39 pm »
In order to make the right limb the bottom I'd have to cut at minimum 1 1/2" from it and then basically start over. When I put the tree together I wanted the pulley rope to pull from above the handle area approximately where my middle draw hand finger and the arrow rest will be located.
If I'm thinking wrong on this I can change the location but that doesn't sound right to me.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:54 pm »
I see a fine tiller, but the limbs arent balanced from what I see. Pull that sucker down to at least 20" and lets look again. Center your handle on the tree. Thats why you lopped off the length on your bottom limb right?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »
I left the bottom limb shorter to try and tiller according to Dean Torges in "Hunting The Osage Bow"
If the grip is resting in my palm during draw wouldn't you actually be pulling the string slightly above the grip area? I designed the tree to simulate holding the bow with the string being pulled in the same general area that the arrow rest would be located.
 I'm old and tough skinned so throw it at me. Except for what I've read and watched this is all new to me. I posted this in order to get the best advice available so I appreciate the all of the suggestions and probably a little humbling experience that wil come along with it.
Ill give you a photo at 16" before proceeding to 20.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 09:29:56 pm »
Looks fine. Go shoot it at 20" a few dozen times and check again. Its all about how it feels in your hand.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:52 pm »
Looks like I ended up getting about an inch of string follow on both limbs. Here it is drawn to 20". I'll check it again later and see if anything changes.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:40:02 pm »
Fred, I think bows with some reflex or deflex just coming off the fades are the hardest to tiller.  You have it in that left limb and it will always make it look non-symmetrical.  You're getting good advice, just don't expect your limbs to look identical when you're done.  Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 12:08:45 am »
Your tiller looks pretty darn good to me. George is right, bows that come off the handle at different angles are tough to tiller. Im not a big fan of leaving the top limb longer than the bottom. Tillering is hard enough for a beginner and leaving one limb longer than the other just adds to the degree of difficulty. In my opinion its much easier to see the limbs bending properly if they're both the same length. Like PD said though its all about how it feels in your hand. Grab the bow the way you're going to grip it when you shoot and feel for the stronger limb, if one limb is much stronger than the other you will be able to feel it in your hand when you draw the bow.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 12:51:07 am »
yeah my bad, listen the these guys.  :D  I didn't notice the reflex n such in the unbraced profile,  I should know better!  Like these others said, see how it feels in your hand and go from there.