Author Topic: grain,back and belly question  (Read 1393 times)

Offline bushboy

grain,back and belly question
« on: May 10, 2012, 04:16:24 pm »
I have an elm board that has natural deflex in it.it's warped towards the bark side.shouid the bark side always be the back or would be ok to use the inner side for the back?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badger

Re: grain,back and belly question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:55:03 pm »
Bushboy, if it is warped toward the bark it would be reflex if I am reading this right, if you do need to make it the other way you can by either decrowning or chasing a ring on inside. If you use the inside for the back just make sure the growth rings are not forming v's, instead make the lines run the length of the limb.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »
Thank's a ton badger,all of my boards that I've tried have very horozontal growth rings c/w the v pattern!that probally expains why I hav'nt had a heavy weight self bow hold up for me!thx's again, I think you just saved me a lot of wood!bobbyjoe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:20 pm »
No, position it so it is reflexed, which is a curve away from the archer as if it is going to be shot. Straight grained, I hope. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!