Author Topic: Has anyone used Eastern Red Cedar for Arrows?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Patches

Has anyone used Eastern Red Cedar for Arrows?
« on: May 10, 2012, 03:15:56 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has used eastern red cedar for arrow making?  If so, is it better to use the heartwood or the sapwood?  I have a farm covered with nice, straight cedars and was wondering about the arrows.   

I appreciate any help that people can give me.

Thanks!
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline half eye

Re: Has anyone used Eastern Red Cedar for Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 03:31:19 pm »
Use them all the time....killed a real fine deer this year with one. The arrow is 3/8" diameter, 27" long, NA style (long and low) wild turkey fletch....he dressed at 176# and  that arrow went slam through from a 50" osage short bow.

I can't tell ya about heart or sap wood, cause my cedar came from a real old farmhouse that was covered with 8" cedar lap siding....talked the fella out of a pick-up full.
rich

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Has anyone used Eastern Red Cedar for Arrows?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:36:52 pm »
I use red ceder for shafts.  I find it soft (dings easy) and that it spines quite low - like 25-40- but it looks real nice under finish and it easy to keep straight.  I use the heartwood - but choose it for its looks.   I use it for kids arrows often due the low spine, but it is quite nice from low poundage self bows too.  Since it is so soft, it burnishes easily to a real smooth shaft.

Russ