Author Topic: What is the TN Classic  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What is the TN Classic
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 12:59:29 am »
John, it was great to meet and work with you and your son at the Classic. This was my 5th or 6th year and I'll be back come hell and high water.  ;) The feelings and attitudes around the Classic is what primitive archery is all about. The info I know and share was shared with me over the years so I'm giving it back.
  This year I stayed away from the bow building area until Saturday. I knew if I went right in and started helping with the bow building I would not leave. I wanted to meet as many of the new PA folks I could plus meet some of the regular PA members that I have never met. Brock, Steve and Mickey are three of those members that have been around for years but I never met. It makes you feel fuzzy all over just knowing that these "demigods" are just like you and me, just regular folks.
I still got a few autographs!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 07:37:23 am »
Welcome to primitive archer Chad(kybow)and glad ya signed up....you made a nice first bow,enjoy it. And then go make another  ;)

Hey, whos that guy bent over drawing on a piece of wood in black n white  ;)...he looks like a nut :laugh:....it was a pleasure to meet ya

You get the award for perseverence and worked the hardest out of all the first timers i saw. You just never walked away and kept at it untill it was done. Thats a sign of a newborn addict ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 09:41:36 am »
Thanks for the kind words,I feel the same about yall, family. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 10:05:09 am »
  One of the highlights to my trip had to be an older gentleman I met named James. Several years ago he had a stroke so certain things would easily confuse him. I could tell in the first few minutes working with him that he was a smart guy and a craftsman. I sat with him for two days while he made his own bow and bow string with just a little help from me. The man had a good eye for tiller and picked up the concept very quickly. He was also surprisingly strong, his bow came out at about 60# as he was making it for a friend. The look on his face when he drew that bow back and shot it was worth the cost of my airplane tickets getting back there. He arrived home sunday night and by tuesday he had bought a bandsaw and had allready cut some hedge and elm to start drying. He is hooked and already talking about next year. Because of the stroke he can't read or write so his wonderfully patient wife does all his typing in e emails and reads them to him. Great people!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 11:37:00 am »
  One of the highlights to my trip had to be an older gentleman I met named James. Several years ago he had a stroke so certain things would easily confuse him. I could tell in the first few minutes working with him that he was a smart guy and a craftsman. I sat with him for two days while he made his own bow and bow string with just a little help from me. The man had a good eye for tiller and picked up the concept very quickly. He was also surprisingly strong, his bow came out at about 60# as he was making it for a friend. The look on his face when he drew that bow back and shot it was worth the cost of my airplane tickets getting back there. He arrived home sunday night and by tuesday he had bought a bandsaw and had allready cut some hedge and elm to start drying. He is hooked and already talking about next year. Because of the stroke he can't read or write so his wonderfully patient wife does all his typing in e emails and reads them to him. Great people!
Great story! It will be interesting to know how much rehabilitation and retraining the bow building will have on him. My guess is it will make a big difference in the future.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 12:58:12 pm »
  Pappy gave me some handle wrapping and leather arrow shelf lessons while I was there. The Twin Oaks boys all do some nice finish work on their bows and it will up your game a bit when you see how nice they all look.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 01:23:38 pm »
The Classic went beyond my wildest imagination.  My only regret is that it took me this long to participate.  The Classic to me, could be categorized as the largest family reunion in the country.  As soon as Miss Heather, Dylan and myself arrived, we were welcomed as just that... family.  It gave me great pleasure passing on the "passion" as it is to many of us.  It was very difficult to leave.  :'(

We'll be back for the 16th, for certain.  ;)

Ya'll have a great summer!  Maybe our paths will cross in the meantime...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 09:02:57 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing you and Heather again next year, Matt, and,Oh yea, the new addition, too. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 10:39:30 am »
Badger
I missed seeing this fellow (James)that is learning to build bows ! I would have loved to talk to him and his wife , to share how bow building has helped to carry me through some hard times ! I don't know if I could have learned to build after my drug reaction but since the Lord had allowed me to have allready been doing it, It gave me something to focus on that would carry me through !
I praise Him daily for how He has worked in my life through bow building !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline BearG

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 11:52:11 am »
Well for me to say my family I always include Mark, Miss Joanie, and the crew in those conversation.  Now I fell like my family has grown even more to include Matt, Miss Heather, Dylan, and soon Weewikki.  All the time Matt spent showing me how to tiller my first bendy handle bow was so great.  Also Mississippi Dave helping me put on the snake skins.

Miss Heather took a bunch of pics of my Bow so I cane enter it into BOM after I finish it up.  I watched a few guyes like Gary, Matt, and Chad work thier butts off helping newbies and others alike learn or improve on their bow building skills. And then theres Will Harrison what can you say about that guy no tallent, short, slow, and a terrible shot.   >:D  I have been going for a long time and it is one vacation that my boss knows I would quit my job rather than miss.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 02:05:34 pm »
...Will Harrison what can you say about that guy no tallent, short, slow, and a terrible shot.   >:D  I have been going for a long time and it is one vacation that my boss knows I would quit my job rather than miss.

I second that!  (Just foolin') >:D

Bear:  Thank you, for the kind words.  I know that Miss Heather is putting your pics on a chip to mail.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 03:36:41 pm »
I know for me, this was a long over due trip in a lot of ways.  Being the first trip I had been on for over six years, I was not sure what to expect, not only from the even, but my getting to and from.  For sure, from the moment that I arrived, I felt like I was home, and had know everyone all my life.  I have never been around a group of people so generous, willing to help, and give of themselves.

I watch Matt, Miss Heather, and their son, (and the new to be born son) going in so many directions helping people, taking pictures, talking to strangers, it almost wore me out watching them.  Matt, you are a naturalist in the bow making world for sure.

I met Bear, and Seabass the first thing, and there was nothing they would not do for you if asked.  I met so many people that I have admired afar for so many years, it was more than over whelming to say the least.

And Pappy and Miss Joanie.  What more can be said about those two.  Such great people is all aspects of life, to offer up their wonderful place for all to meet and gather.  Almost unheard of now days.

I want to thank every one that I talked with, shook hands, gave hugs, because there is no way I can remember all, for showing me the absolute best time of my life.  I assure you, health permitting, I will become a yearly repeat at this event.

And don't you know it, with so much going on, the one thing I really wanted to get to bring home, I forgot all about until half way home..lol.  That will just give me an ever bigger reason to go back. ;)

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart and may God Bless you all.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:51:55 pm by stringstretcher »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 04:05:59 pm »
Usually, I'm a hermit.  The classic gets me out of my shell...  a little.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »
The first one for me and hopefully not the last,next time I'd like to make a bow for sure.Great bunch of people and if you have some homemade wine, most of them are there to help :o It's a well run event and anywhere you can knapp to the sounds of banjo music is A OK with me
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 12:28:29 am »
 Being from Ca. I had never eaten a country boil like they served up on Friday night. That had to be one of the tastiest dishes I had ever eaten. Is that served up every year at the classic?