Author Topic: I Need A Bow  (Read 5703 times)

Offline SlowPaw

• Utah Mountain Man
I Need A Bow
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:38:08 am »
I am going to make a bow, that's why I am here. I've ordered the bible, reading the forum, watching youtube, etc. I like to do the research before jumping. It took me a year before building my forge.
I am very good at leatherwork and would trade a beautiful set of saddlebags or gold rush era pommel bags. I also make hand forged knives with custom sheaths.(see attached)
My goal is to pick up something simple to compete at mountain man rendezvous this summer. I have a fancy compound that is all tricked out. It is so accurate and easy to shoot that it takes all the challenge out of the sport. Plus I really like history. I am 6 foot 4 in tall and draw 30 in. 40/45 pound draw would be perfect.
If anyone is interested please contact me.
Thanks

TurtleCreek

Re: I Need A Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:57:21 am »
Holy mackerel!!! you do some gorgeous knife work!!

Offline Jtilley

• WV country boy missing the hills.............
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:53:25 am »
If I had a bow, I would be bartering for the knife!!! BEAUTIFUL !!!!!
Some is Good , More is Better, Too much is Just Right....
John

Offline SlowPaw

• Utah Mountain Man
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:07:33 am »
Can a person ever have too many knives? Thank you for the nice comments. I hope my first bow turns out as good.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 03:40:07 pm »
As a fellow historical re-enactor (histerical re-enactor?) I gotta say if you put as much effort and craftsmanship into your bow as you did these examples I have no doubt your bows will cause a stir in this forum!

Nice stuff, sir, nice stuff!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:46:11 pm »
As a fellow historical re-enactor (histerical re-enactor?) I gotta say if you put as much effort and craftsmanship into your bow as you did these examples I have no doubt your bows will cause a stir in this forum!

Nice stuff, sir, nice stuff!

what he said!!! amazing craftsmanship
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 05:47:44 pm »
i have this one... Probably not what your looking for but i thought I let you take a look.. about 41# @29"

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32148.0.html

Jon

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:49:08 pm »
Can a person ever have too many knives?

Careful Sir you tread upon Thin Ice!!!
Several of my Exes said yes in answer to this very queston!
I think, for safety's sake, That question need never be asked...

:)

Like you leather work A Lot!
And that Bowie is a Beauty!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »
man that is all top drawer, and no, you can nevr have too many knives, or bows, or guns >:D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 06:45:27 pm »
Very cool work. No offense whatsoever, but If I knew you any better I would be all over it like a chicken on a Junebug. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:46:23 pm »
Ifrit's bow is very similar to what many tribes carried in the northeast.  Longer thin limbs like that are excellent for learning to shoot stickbow style, much more stable and forgiving than the short horseback bows of the west.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »
Longer thin limbs like that are excellent for learning to shoot stickbow style, much more stable and forgiving than the short horseback bows of the west.

I agree with JW on this and that's why I offered it up.. This is the bow that I broke my target panic with, and although it is only medium fast, and has medium set, It is a stable durable bow that will last for years.. Plus it stacks them into a target right well.

Jon

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 07:55:39 pm »
wow!! i wish i had a bow like you want i would trade it in a heartbeat...
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline SlowPaw

• Utah Mountain Man
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 08:03:52 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the amazing comments. My head is swelling and now I need all new hats!

Cipriano has agreed to make me a very cool bow to my demanding standards in trade for the knife and sheath. I can't wait to post a picture.

Stay tuned...there are more knives on the bench and I still need arrows.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »
I almost proposed that same thing...but I'm already behind making a bow for somebody and then there's the bow trade.  Decided against it.  Whatcha gonna make Cip?

George
St Paul, TX