Author Topic: Im Making A Documentary.. Help Please  (Read 9713 times)

Offline Will Carothers

Im Making A Documentary.. Help Please
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:33:29 pm »
Hey everyone, this is my first post here but ive been frequenting tradgang and paleoplanet, and at all ive been requesting help for a new project im working on. I am filming a documentary on how the english warbow changed the course of britain's history. Ive been directed here by many of them.

Can any of you who have extensive knowledge on the subject, ideas on what i should incorporate, or ideas on who i should contact, please comment or send me a PM, it would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Ian.

Re: Im Making A Documentary.. Help Please
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:48:58 pm »
Can you tell me more about the documentary? Is it a project, TV etc.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
I'd also like to know about the project. What is your production company, have you made deals to have it broadcast in the states or overseas, how large is the budget, your film credentials before this, what kind of audience is this targeted to, etc. Are you the director, the producer, are you above or below the line, and so on. What kind of talent do you have lined up for in front of the camera, and is this a historical show or a popular show like Deadliest Warrior or some of the other History Channel stuff? I hope you dont mind my asking, but someone else will if you are serious about this. I guess the biggest creative question though is what kind of new ground are you covering?
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Will Carothers

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 11:30:53 pm »
Well, this is just a project im looking into, i have had a passion for the history of archery, especially the warbow. It is a project for my school with which i can qualify for the National Competition in Washington DC. The prize for the winning documentary is $10,000 and a featurette on the History Channel. I hope i can follow the true history as close as i can, but the documentary can be only 10-15 minutes long, but with this, topic, i believe i could do extremely well

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:51:08 pm »
sounds like an interesting project, compared to people like Ian i don't have an "extensive" knowledge of this subject as i am still learning, but i can try to think of things to incrporate
good luck with this noble venture
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:49:56 am »
Much has been writen in the past and Robert Hardy's book 'Longbow' pretty much covers it.
Beware of 'knowledgeable people'! Bear in mind none of us were there so there are lot of self proclaimed 'experts'.
I would suggest two main areas to concentrate on.
1. The weapon it's self.
2. The tactics and organisation, which were arguable the more important
 e.g Agincourt where I believe the French had no defined leader or comand structure, whereas the English had a clear line of command. The French contrived to loose the battle despite vastly superior numbers.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:26 pm »
Will, good luck. You are going to have to be extremely selective, since you only have ~10 - 15 minutes.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline bumppo

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 08:49:49 pm »
You need to watch the documentary "Weapons that made Britain - The Long Bow" by Mike Loades.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:54:39 pm »
ideas on what i should incorporate, or ideas on who i should contact, please comment or send me a PM, it would be greatly appreciated!

As mentioned , Hardy's "Longbow" or Bradbury's "Medieval Archer" cover the battles thoroughly. You might be able to get them by interlibrary loan. "With a Bended Bow" by Roth covers everything else in detail. It is not yet out in North America but can be ordered from the Book Depository in the UK without a charge for shipping. While iit is true that none of us lived in the Middle Ages, there is lots of information available. None of us lived during World War I either, but we can learn about it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:10:42 pm »
The French contrived to loose the battle despite vastly superior numbers.
Del

Much like the classic Irish battle tactic of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

There have been so many documentary films done on the English archer, maybe you are overlooking something here.  Why not a documentary on the growing Archery Underground?  The radical punk/alternative to wheelie bows, mechanization, and the mindless commercialization of archery...namely the Primitive Archers.  We are the dirty little secret that is growing by leaps and bounds, those that prove once again that "sticks and stones will break bones". 

There is this amazing junxtaposition of the 21st century technology promulgating technology that began 14,000 years ago.  Face it, America loves an underdog story.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 02:14:52 am »

Well spoken crass knave!  JW, you be DA man! 8)  That is an excellent idea, being as there is a "Plethora" of books, and articles, and history channel series on the English long bow.  How about as JW suggests, and tell of the rise of the primitive crowds, and their archery, and their fascination with the skill, and weapons, and techniques, of our ancestors, Native Americans.  And proving, that it still can be done, without modern technology.  One of the English Boyer's of times past, stated that the American white woods, simply have no cast.  Apparently he neglected to remember all those that were pierced by the arrows cast by those same white woods.  Delve into the aspect, of the growing primitive archery scene, and it's history.  As for the English long bow, There are experts here, and though they were not there during in any battles, they can tell you about the pros and cons of the English War Bow, it's physical characteristics, and so forth.  But as for the English War Bow itself, and it's advantage over the French, you will only be echoing what has already been said, or filmed. ;)  Good luck with your project.

Wayne

Offline Will Carothers

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 02:29:38 am »
I love the ideas, but the subject of the project must follow the theme- turning points in history, and the judges dont really like projects that focus on more modern events, if u can think of any topics that fit this, let me know

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 05:38:11 am »
Sorry, this is off topic, but I agree with JW, and it saddens me that the Olympics will only be hosting target archery which is a pretty boring spectacle and there are people pressing to include compounds >:(. Field archery would be so much more entertaining, in fact they could combine it with the mountain biking course  >:D.... bloke in gorilla costume pedals past... twack thud :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 07:18:59 pm »
I love the ideas, but the subject of the project must follow the theme- turning points in history, and the judges dont really like projects that focus on more modern events, if u can think of any topics that fit this, let me know

Yeah, cuz you know there are NEVER turning points in current history!  Turning points have always occurred in the past!

The turning point this all hinges on would be Ishi. 
Dr. Saxton Pope tending to Ishi's recurring illnesses befriends the "Last Wild Indian" only to become interested in archery, begins making "primitive bows", jump to Howard Hill with out-takes from the Robin Hood film with Errol Flynn, the articles in sporting magazines of the 50's and 60's showing how to make a bow from lemonwood.  Then on to Jim Hamm and all those whackos that created The Traditional Bowyer's Bible (volumes 1-4 available from this very same website).  Interviews and photos from the Tennessee Classic would round it out along with your experiences with the Archery Underground!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 05:45:21 am »
     Parry and thrust!  By Jove jolly well said JW, in fact it was the very thing I was going to say, but alas, I hath tarried too long, and dwelled upon it, till it twas over taken, by you, who wouldst have young youth, to see what he seeketh, is but before him, and all is needeth, is to pointeth out thy words of wisdom, and that rules, are indeed followed, if he wouldst but see pattern of history, hath but reborn of itself again.  Aye, it be the truth that saxton, pope, and young, not being a modern rock group, had but to delve into the lifestyle of Ishi of yore.  It is indeed from there, and not to be forgotten the Thompson Bros. , that they did indeed reviveth, the bewitching art of ancient archery.  If thy judges cannot see the turning points in the history of archery, and how it slowly died out after the invention of gunpowder, and then the flintlock, percussion, and then the cartridge, weapons, it all but disappeared, save but for the poor primitive soles that still depended on it for survival, then what fools they be!  As JW hath spoken of, turning points in history, are not only in the past, nay, but they be in the present also, for will not these points in the future, be referred to as turning points of the past, as we speak now of those points in those times of long past?  Dangeth, I needeth a wench! :(   Guess I will just have a beer. :P  Now fast forward to modern times, and wallah, Archery is back as strong as ever, and gaining more, and more converts.  Start off explaining the pros and cons of the English long bow, and then the slow demise after gunpowder became available, and the decline of archery to a hobby, and no longer a martial weapon, even though the Mary Rose, had cannon, and matchlocks, they still had archers, in the crow's nest .  Then came the resurgence of archery, to Olympics, to Saxton pope, et al, and the invention of the compound bow, and then the turning point where archers are going back to basics, and relearning the primitive archery, that fed and protected our ancestors, and trying to match wits with the same game animals our ancestors hunted, and learning the skills it took to master the primitive bow and arrow, and the skill it takes to get close enough to make a humane kill.  Up to you, but anything about the long bow has already pretty much been said.  But good luck, and there is a lot of info here, and  people with a lot of knowledge of the history, and pros and cons of the long bow, it's construction, dimensions, wood types, etc., and are more than willing to answer your questions.  Get the info, and play modern news media, and use artistic license, using just enough partial facts, and half truths, to make it interesting enough to sell to the Judges. ;) ::)  As we used to say in the Dental Lab business, it if doesn't fit, polish the hell out of it! ;D ;D  Judges like shiny things also. ;)

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:06:20 am by stickbender »