Author Topic: pennsylvania arrow woods?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline blackpanem

pennsylvania arrow woods?
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:43:45 pm »
im still pretty new to arrow making and i dont know what will and will not work for arrows. i saw someone post cherry arrows the other day, how well do they shoot? also i dont like using canes too much and i would like to try wood, so what are some woods in pennsylvania that will work? thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: pennsylvania arrow woods?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:55:15 pm »
For shoot arrows viburnum, hazlenut or red osier dogwood. Probably others.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:58:51 am »
Don't forget multa-flora rose or wild rose.  That stuff grows everywhere.  It's light but tough. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:53:31 pm »
If it's got straight shoots or suckers, cut them all.  Collect all types: at least 100.  Peel them all.  Leave a little bark on the ends so you can identify them later.  Seal the ends so they won't crack.  Let them dry for a couple weeks.  Throw away the ones that are checked.  Start straightening with heat.  Throw away the ones that break easily during straightening.  Keep track of the ones that seem to be the best.  After a while you will get the feel of which ones are your favorite types of wood.  You don't need to know what the wood is called as long as you know what it looks like.  That's it.

I made a few youtube videos on the subject.   ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyqQgcyjLEQ
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:50:43 pm »
Blackpanem, sourwood, arrowood(viburunum), red osier, multi flora rose all grow in Penna. Jackcraftys x2 Later Bob