Author Topic: Gonna need some tools! Recommendations?  (Read 7871 times)

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
Gonna need some tools! Recommendations?
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »
So I've been enjoying breaking bows lately as a newb and I've been doing everything by hand with a rasp, scraper, surform and short hand saw.  I'm planning on buying some new tools soon. 

What would you guys say was the most important tool you have?  I'm talking power tools.  I still plan to use my rasp and scraper a lot of course but getting the wood down closer to form faster would be great. 

I'd love to get everything I need but that would be hard to justify to the old lady so I'm probably gonna have to settle for a couple of purchases.  I'm thinking bandsaw and belt sander maybe.
Kevin

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Gonna need some tools! Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:56:58 pm »
A good bandsaw. A belt sander is nice but I would spend the money on a really good bandsaw and blades.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:58:55 pm »
Bandsaw. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:59:55 pm »
u didn't mention drawknife ,  thats the #1 tool after splitting, then the bandsaw, rasp and scraper, then sandpaper, steelwool, finish, then get another stave and start over!

I can't do without the drawknife!

Jamie

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:19:28 pm »
If you want hand tool recommendations. X2 on a good drawknife and a shinto file/rasp. These things are great!

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:26:55 pm »
I've been using boards so far.  Does a drawknife work well on the boards?

I've only finished one bow and I'm still amazed that it still works.  Since then not so much but I'm working on the third now.

I've got the bug just don't have the tools. 
Kevin

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:44:14 pm »
I only use a drawknife to chase a ring. I don't do that with board bows. If that is what you are doing, I would go with a good bandsaw and the Shinto.

Offline SA

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:15:03 pm »
bandsaw!!!.... man i need to get one :'(  ;D
Shawn Acker

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:17:51 pm »
SHINTO!!!!!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:34:48 pm »
Ya gotta be careful with a bandsaw, I once saw an experienced bowyer (not gonna say who) put a  finished, sinew-snakeskin-cable backed longbow on band saw...
Maybe I should explain first
The bow had a overbuilt handle and was fretted at the fades so we agreed that we should cutout the middle and the fretted fades and splice the limbs & glue a handle over the joint(the bow was long enough for this)
We printed up some "w" splice layouts and cut the handle out (with the bandsaw)and then glued on the layouts, we cut the splices(with the bandsaw) and THEN realized that the splices were the same, a "w" and a "w", not a "w" and a "m"
There were weeks of work in that bow and it was all over with one quick cut...
I'm not saying that we shod have used hand tools for the cut, just that the bandsaw can emphasize you mistake as fast as you can make them

Moral, you gotta be real slow & careful with the bandsaw, while it is a useful tool it can be very destructive in a matter of seconds

-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 12:12:57 am »
The one power tool I would suggest is a bandsaw also. Try to get at least a 14" with 1hp motor if you can. Check out Grizzly. I have a few Grizzly power tools and would recommend them. Not too expensive but well built, good tech support and fast service with parts. All I've had to porder is wear item parts;blades, guides, etc.
  I use a bandsaw to get a stave to about 3/4" thick with a deeper handle area and cut out 1/8" outside the bows outline. From there I use a farriers rasp, Nicholson #49 rasp and a scraper.   I built many bows with a carpenters 4 way rasp and a coarse wood rasp and my draw knife as a scraper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline randman

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 01:49:58 am »
I agree with everybody on the bandsaw bit and YES you do have to be very careful and know what you are doing or you can ruin a good stave in SECONDS (even an experienced bandsaw guy - don't ask me how I know). A good SINGLE BEVEL hatchet is safer for roughing out bows with especially if you are inexperienced with a bandsaw.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 05:32:10 am »
Spokeshave is V useful, sorta fits in between drawknife and rasp, but can work V fine and still give a nice finish.
A bandsaw is great, but you are only allowed to buy one if you are over 50, otherwise use an axe  ;)
I've been toying with the idea of a belt sander, but for me it's getting a bit too close to 'manufacturing' rather than 'making'... this is primitive archer right?
When does saving time become removing enjoyment?
On due consideration the only tool you should be using is your teeth ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 07:34:47 am »
One of the tools I use most often in board bows, is a decent hand plane. When kept sharp and well adjusted, it can really hog off a lot of wood, while getting the width right.
If you're looking for a power tool, I would indeed go for a band saw. If you're into laminated bows, a belt sander may be even better.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 08:10:30 am »
If I could only have one power tool it would by far be the bandsaw,buy the best you can afford,yes you have to be careful,one rule I learned the hard way,always keep the part of the stave /board/or bow you can't see away from the blade then you will never have a problem,kind of like my Grand Dad when he gave me my first knife,always cut away from yourself and you will never cut yourself, if I had only listened.  ??? ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good